Propane gas manifold and the parts needed?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SouthernYankee

Reaction score
Hey guys and gals. Within the next week or two, I will start building a single tier brew stand.
The only problem I might have is the propane gas manifold. I already have the sq. tubing and two Bayou BG14 burners.
I was looking around at some of the other builds on this site and observed that some folks use copper tubing from the pipe to the burners itself.
I will be using 1/2 black pipe and gas valves for the manifold.
My question to you guys, do you think these items might work? (Links provided). The hose is SS and both ends are 1/2. One end of the hose could just go into the tee pipping. The other end you could use a reducer for the orifice.
Any thoughts or problems you might see for these items?
Thanks!

SS lines: http://www.hardwareandtools.com/invt/3553500

Reducer: http://www.hardwareandtools.com/invt/u452287

Those lines have flared fittngs and won't work w/ black pipe npt threads without an adapter. I'd suggest getting everything locally so you can pre-fit things as you buy it. Also look at morebeer.com's pipe threaded jets (orifice). Made working with pipe threads easy.

You know, that hose may actually work IF the male end is NPT. I first read the thread and saw the links on my blackberry, so I couldn't tell.

I've built two different manifolds. The first one used flex gas hoses to the jets that came with the burners (flared fittings). The one I built for my single tier uses all black pipe, 1/2" NPT fittings, and I use a reducer bushing similar to the one in your second link to connect this jet from morebeer, which threads into my burners. I really like the hard plumbed version better. I also help someone build a 3-tier using hard plumbing, too and it just seems a lot cleaner IMO.

Here's some pics. let me know if you want to know anything more specific. Cheers :mug:

Single-tier...

DSCN3837.JPG

DSCN3792.JPG

Manifold for the 3-tier...

brew_stand_plumbing.JPG

Sparky, thanks for the follow-up. You know after looking at the photos again and rereading the product for the 5th time. Wouldn't you want a flare fitting for the orifice anyways? I would think yes. The flare from the "looks" of the photo are inside the housing which shouldn't affect the threads. Of course I could be 100% wrong.
I made an inquiry about the product just a few mins ago through there site. I asked if the threads are NPT ones. So we will see if they are.
Everything from the cost prospective isn't that bad. The hose is less then 9 bucks. If the are NPT. I might just bite the bullet and order two of them and give it a shot.

BTW, I have seen your stand before and it is really nice. My build plans are close to yours. Just a few more sq. tubes here and there. Overall the size will be 62"L x 16.5" deep x 25" height with the casters.

Again thanks for the photos. The hard plumming does look very nice. I really would like to use the Stainless lines for the build to give the stand that "bling" factor.

If I have anymore questions. I'll shot them your way...thanks again!

If you're using flex gas hoses, you probably do want the flared fitting, along with an orafice that's got the same (which is normal). If you hard plumb everything, then the flared fittings won't work, and you'd need an orafice with pipe threads like the one from morebeer. If that hose has npt on one end and flared on the other end, and you want to stick to the hoses, then that's what you want.

Lil Sparky- I love the gas set up on your single tier system. I have been trying to figure out how to do it and that answered alot of questions. So you only need one regulator going from the end of the gas line to the propane tank? Where did you get the burners from, are they the 55,000 BTU? Have you ever made a parts list for everything you need to build that system? I like the hard plumbed idea. On a side note, with a single tier system do you use the pump to move the liquid from each kettle to the next? I take it you prefer that setup over a 3 tier? Thanks in advance, I am very close to building my system and want to do it right the first time!

Just use whatever fitting matches to the hose you get. I know it says 3/8" FNPT, but I'm pretty sure I've got the same one and it's a flared fitting. Might want to wait until you get it and then buy the matching male fitting to put on your manifold.

Back