Ever been so tired...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ahaley

Reaction score
That it feels like you're moving in slow motion?
Thats how I feel, I need suggestions I stay awake at work. ( I do midnight-8am ) I have 3.5 hrs left and I'm slowly falling asleep! Home brewers assemble I need help!
Energy drinks, 5hr energy, coffee, cold air, hot air all of those don't work to help keep me up.
D:

Ya that does help, but sadly my job I have to drive around and I can't use my hbt app and drive lol

Carry along a big cup of ice or ice water......when you begin to nod, just fill your mouth with icewater and hold it. The cold sensation on your teeth would wake up a hibernating bear.

Carry along a big cup of ice or ice water......when you begin to nod, just fill your mouth with icewater and hold it. The cold sensation on your teeth would wake up a hibernating bear.

This. It beats the hell out of pumping yourself full of sugar and caffeine. I have pulled enough stints of graveyard shift to know that the best thing to do is just let your adrenaline take over.

Thanks guys, I'll try the ice water, and as for sunflower seeds.. Im not sure how that would help except for stabbing my gums lol

+1 to the sunflower seeds. Or really anything you can snack on constantly without being too unhealthy and such. Gum kinda works too. Plus, music!

I found alternating energy drinks and coffee helps too, different way to intake the caffeine or something. I was a sysadmin for 10 years, had to pull many all nighters throughout the years (no, not a bad sysadmin, just cheap equipment due to cheap owners!). Most of those ended up being 24-36 hour shifts, so, yeah... lol

Kosch

ahaley said:
( I do midnight-8am ) I have 3.5 hrs left and I'm slowly falling asleep!

ahaley said:
sadly my job I have to drive aroundl

Yeah you're definitely going to want to take care of that ;)

During my machinist apprenticeship I had a long drive from class to home, about 3 hours from 10-1am. Music did it for me. You might want to pick up some metal :rockin:

The ice water kinda helps haha, so cold it hurts my teeth, and it's mainly my allergies that get me, and just nothing ever happens, I dont know if I told you guys already, but I do security, and whenever I work, nothing happens. Ever. Lol I listen to music, last night I had the window down ac on full, loud music, and I was practically yelling lol. I got weird looks nonetheless.

Edit; I may have to play angry birds all night and pretend to work lol

I find getting real good sleep during the day helps a bunch... Black out the windows in your room, and I mean BLACK! turn on a small fan to knock out all the outside noise and If I am having trouble and feel restless before I crawl into bed, I take a half of a Kirkland brand sleep aid. It will let me get the 6 hour of sleep I need and only about 30 min of wake up time is needed (for me). See my schedual is days to nights then night to days and back and forth 4 days 3 nights 3 days 4 nights etc etc etc all 12 hour shifts. Along with owning Nor Cal Brewing Solutions and running the fab shop for the store as well. I never know if I am coming or going.... But when its 2am and I am tired as heck I tend to just keep moving! If I stand still or sit for longer than 2-3 min, MAN I want to just pass out!
Cheers
Jay

The issues with sleeping during the day is..
1, my baby girl was recently born, she's about 4 weeks(on the 3rd) and she learned that day time=play time.
2, I live with my gf and her folks while I sort out paperwork so I can join army. So there is always someone coming into the room and doing something like "hey Alex, what're you doin? Sleeping? Oh ok, we'll I just wanted to let you know that it's about xx degrees today so... Oh I forgot you work at night. Ok bye" •_•
3, I get home around 840/9am if I fall asleep and nothing disturbs me, I wake up around 4pm. And then I'm rested and can't sleep until about 1020(I leave by 11pm)

So I'm thinking about going to the dr to ask for sleeping pills and pills to keep me awake if they have such a thing lol
Oh and, I'm sitting for like 90% of my job. Lol I try to keep moving but sometimes that is counter productive.

Yeah its tuff man I hear ya! I had to beat into my family that I only get about 6 (most of the time less) hours to sleep. Unless the house is on fire......LEAVE ME ALONE! For the most part my family is respectful of my need to be asleep when I am.
As far as sleeping pills the ones from Costco work KILLER! only do a 1/2 though and when you take it, you better be ready to go down for the count. It wont keep you asleep but it sure will get you to sleep.

Ha, if the house is on fire let me sleep still, the firemen will rescue me lol. And I don't know what it is.. But I tell my mom the hours and work and the days, and she calls me on a off day at like 5 am to see what I'm doing. Then she tries to tell me a story from her work lol. Ugh families! I'm starting to resort to drinking myself to sleep lol.

What are the Costco sleeping pills called? I'll try them out and see how they help me :)

Alright, let's hope that works so I dont have to use up my home brews to sleep lol

Go to sleep 9 or 10 hrs before your shift starts. Make the room dark & quiet. Have breakfast at work, something spicy will help to keep you awake later. If you start nodding, have some strong coffee, with sugar. If you still start to nod, slap yourself in the face; hard. I'm serious. A good, hard, stinging slap in the face (stinging enough to make the hair on your arms stand up) will wake you right up, 3 or 4 will keep you awake for a while. If you're driving, stop & walk around a bit (if you can) or roll down the window & hang your head out at about 30MPH. Strong, cold wind will wake you up; so will splashing ice water on your face. Singing along with loud rock music helps too. I've used all these techniques with success, I'm sure they'll work for just about anybody.
Regards, GF.

Zuljin said:
Ever been so tired...

you slept in the belly of a dead tauntaun

+1 lol

And I've tried most of that and some if it works, my job is just so boring that my brain shuts down lol

I find rage keeps me awake. Have something get you really angry. Here, I'll try...

Your mother wears army boots!!

Back