Harvesting yeast from Shocktop

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's stuff's not bad on a hot day. Had it at a music festival last year. Don't let the beer snobs get you down. Drink what you like!

Although I have no idea if you can culture yeast from it ...

The magic answer is yes it works, I just did it on a stir plate. I used the yeast from the bottom of 4 bottles. I'm making shocktop with it and I had no problems with the yeast taking off in the wort.

The question remains, is it worth it? I don't recall the yeast profile from Shock Top being very interesting, and there's no guarantee that it's the main strain in the bottle.

I had one the other day, and it was a lot more enjoyable than I remember it being.

I was reading the bottle, and realized that it had sediment in it. Said to pour and then stir up the bottom, but to be honest it didn't really look like yeast on the bottom of the bottle. It may have been, it just looked weird though.

First I'd want to know if the yeast in the bottle is the fermentation strain or is it something added for bottle conditioning.

Well there's only one way to find out. Im in my second week. Going to add the lemon,lime, and corandor this weekend. Will see how she progresses. I'll update in about. A week when I put it in the keg.

I used the yeast right from the bottle. It's nasty no other way to put it. At least I can say I tried it. That's what homebrewing is all about in my book.

Latest posts

Back