Specific Gravity with Fresh Fruit Wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lukebuz

Reaction score
OK, so I'm making my first batch of fresh fruit wine (16 cups of chopped apples and 2 cups of raisins) for 1 gallon.
Chopped all the fruit and bagged it. Dissolved a certain amount of sugar in 1 gallon of water, and poured over apples. Stirred, and let sit for 24 hours with all chemicals except yeast.
Took a SG reading, around 1.080 (no yeast yet). I thought this is low for what I'm aiming for - but then, what about the sugar from the fresh fruit? The apples are still pretty much intact and contain sugar after just 24 hours...won't the yeast ferment the sugar in the water, and the sugar in the fruit? I plan the leave the fruit in the bucket for 7-10 days...
How do you know what your final ABV% will be, if you don't know the full amount of sugar you are starting with?
Maybe this noob is missing something. Help!

OK, so I'm making my first batch of fresh fruit wine (16 cups of chopped apples and 2 cups of raisins) for 1 gallon.
Chopped all the fruit and bagged it. Dissolved a certain amount of sugar in 1 gallon of water, and poured over apples. Stirred, and let sit for 24 hours with all chemicals except yeast.
Took a SG reading, around 1.080 (no yeast yet). I thought this is low for what I'm aiming for - but then, what about the sugar from the fresh fruit? The apples are still pretty much intact and contain sugar after just 24 hours...won't the yeast ferment the sugar in the water, and the sugar in the fruit? I plan the leave the fruit in the bucket for 7-10 days...
How do you know what your final ABV% will be, if you don't know the full amount of sugar you are starting with?

You will get some sugars from the apples, but not much.

This is where Pressing the fruit as opposed to Chopping it comes into play. After 24 hrs a liquid where the fruit was pressed and had pectic enzymes added with be one that you can get good SG readings from.

Back