So who's brewing this weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just got done brewing an Alpha King clone. I switched out columbus and warrior hops for simcoe and amarillo to go with the cascade and centennial that were already in the recipe (it's like a citrus explosion now). Missed my target OG by only 0.001, too.

I also have an English mild plugging away now. I took a gravity reading and a taste test and it should be a lovely, albeit low-alcohol brew. She'll be ready to bottle next weekend.

Brewed Otter Pop 3 yesterday, 8 hr. 15 min. start to finish, all grain.

12.5 lbs Marris Otter
4 oz East Kent Golding whole
1.070 og 5.5 gal

Notes--first time using whole hops. I was starting to worry how I was going to strain all those hops out of the wort, but when I poured it into the carboy through the large white funnel, I found that most of the hops stayed in the funnel, I had to poke the hops once with my racking cane to burp the back pressure but it seemed to strain just fine with the funnel!

Also used a large, hand fan to control the boil. I set my burner to rolling boil, then fan the top of the pot when the foam starts to build. I found that if I fanned for 10 seconds, I could get the top to stop foaming over, and it would last for a couple of minutes. I will definitely use a hand fan in the future.

Got a batch of Brewers Best Red Ale in the pot right now - boiling wort smells like HEAVEN! Instructions say to steep grain in 2.5G - more water increases IBU. Does that mean an increase in ABV as well? I used 3G water/20min/162-165 deg F. Looks & smells wonderful!

about to finish mashing a Smoked Loon Porter. Finally gave up on trying to get a good weekend for brewing outside between weather and other things going on so doing a partial boil inside, mashing in my 5 gallon drink cooler. Hopefully it will come out ok. Got to get it done due to moving in April and needing to drain the pipeline by then.

I'm starting to feel like a cheater, with my no-chill brewing habits. I got up, drank coffee, and started setting up to brew around 10 AM. Doughed-in my porter around 10:45, and was done and cleaned up by 2 PM. It doesn't get much easier, IMO.

I forget to get a gravity reading, though. Guess I'll take it from the starter before I put it on the stir plate.

I'm starting to feel like a cheater, with my no-chill brewing habits. I got up, drank coffee, and started setting up to brew around 10 AM. Doughed-in my porter around 10:45, and was done and cleaned up by 2 PM. It doesn't get much easier, IMO.

I forget to get a gravity reading, though. Guess I'll take it from the starter before I put it on the stir plate.

No-chill really does take out of the equation the most labour intensive part of homebrewing.

brewed up a helles with a buddy on saturday. lovin this no chill weather. just dump the wort in a bucket and set it outside overnight.

I brewed an APA with homegrown Chinook and Cascade hops. Used my new KAB4 burner and turned my back on it for about 5 minutes. Lost a gallon of wort to a boilover before I stopped it and then had to add DME and a gallon of water to make up the difference. Luckily I didn't have any hops added to it yet. Went through the rest of the brew pretty well til I grabbed my immersion chiller and noticed two cracks in the copper tubing. Apparently it hadn't drained well enough before I put it away last time and it froze and cracked. Luckily I caught this before I added it to the kettle and turned the water on. Ended up doing an ice bath in the bathtub, for some reason I thought I was a gallon short on my post boil wort so I added ice directly to the wort trying to get it back to 5 gallons. Once that was done and the wort was chilled I dumped it into my fermentor to find that I now had 5.5 to 6 gallons of wort. Took an OG of 1.051 which is well within range. A little lower than expected but with all the problems I had I was glad to see it was still gonna be ok.

Just bottled a Lemon Ginger Imperial IPA. 11 1/2% abv, 145 ibus, and 528 calories a pint!
This weekend I'm doing a lightly peat-malted Scottish Ale.
Cheers!

Brewing six gallons of Olde Ale on Saturday - made my starter of 1028 London Ale yeast tonight.

Our grain buy did not arrive until this past Mon, so last weekend's brew date has been move to this weekend.

15 gal of a session Pale
2-row, Munich, C20, Dextrin, Chinook, Cascade, Cent and a little Willimette

10 gal Centennial IPA/IIPA (based off two-hearted Ale and Hopslam)
2-row, Vienna, Dextrin, C20, honey, Chinook for bittering and all Cent for flavor and aroma

Gonna brew up a batch of G's Great Stout Sunday while watching the PACKERS whup da bears A**!! :rockin: SWMBO will probably be shopping - wonder why?:drunk:

Brewing up 10 gallons of my APA tonight. 5 gallons of the Caramel Amber ale posted here on Saturday morning. Should have 15 gallons in the fermenter by Saturday afternoon.

I guess I'm a Noob because I'm still using kits, but I'm going to be trying two recipes this weekend that the local brew-shop put together.

New World IPA - Dry Hopped, and a West Coast Amber

After these two I have to stop for a couple of weeks cause the wife is tire of me spending money.:cross:

Still a NOOB myself Malibu - ain't no turning back. First 2 were pre-kits & this next is LHBS kit. Maybe experiment a bit in the future but for now the kits work for me. Taste my first Wednesday at 3 days in the bottle - slight carbonation & green flavor but GOOOOOD!

Going to do two beers at once in single digit temps!! Hardcore brewing weekend baby!

Going to do two beers at once in single digit temps!! Hardcore brewing weekend baby!

Good for you man, I am officially wussing out this weekend. At least we are off of the overnight low of -35. Maybe next weekend.

weather.JPG

Porter tomorrow at the GRABASS event at IdahoDal's. It's gonna get ugly! I think there are between 10-15 people brewing tomorrow. :rockin:

Brewing AHS Beligian Wit this weekend and bottling American Wheat that has been in primary for 3 weeks. Should be a good weekend! :tank::mug:

Even though I'm coming down with a sickness, plans are to brew my Old Ale, keg my Bitter and start modifications on my keggles and cooler MLT.

Bottling Amber Ale tonight and hopefully start on Bourbon Porter and Moose Slobber this weekend, gonna be a good weekend.
:ban:

Back