Cloudy Cider Post Fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yorkbrew

Reaction score
I made a cider using store bought cloudy apple juice and Nottingham yeast. I didn't add anything else. I let it ferment for a couple weeks then I moved it into my kegerator set for about 32 degrees. I was hoping that a few days in the kegerator at that temp would cause all of the cloudiness to drop out. Unfortunately none of it has, the cider tastes good but it's an unappealing opaque tan color.

I'm pretty sure that it wasn't done fermenting when I moved it. Normally I let my ciders go for a month and they clear completely. Is there anything I can do to salvage this in the next week? I'm planning on pouring this for my wedding and I want to have something for the non-beer drinkers to enjoy. Right now I'm racking the cider to a keg to cold condition and carbonate along with the beers I'll be serving. Will cold conditioning clear it up?

I like the flavor apart from a yeasty tang. I used an 3:1 mix of Pink Lady and Gala apple juice. I was thinking I could add some kind of dark juice to color it so the opaque color won't be so off putting. On the other hand I'm not above buying commercial cider if the yeasty flavor isn't something that will go away.

No it's not ruined. I was shooting for something that was widely appealing. All of the (good) ciders I've made in the past have been brilliantly clear because I let them sit in the ferementor for at least a month. I did more searching and I found a few posts about making country cider which is what I have. Country cider is supposed to be cloudy, which is something I should have anticipated (in hindsight).

In hindsight I should have just started the cider early. I'll warn people so they know not to expect transparent cider when it comes out of the tap.

I may still try adding some cherry juice concentrate. It would darken and sweeten the cider which I think will increase it's level of appeal.

You could also buy one of those keg to keg filter kits.... If you have a keg that is...
It's just a water softening filter with the one micron filter and you push the Cider through it with CO2 and it makes it super clear. I have some cloudy cider that I want to clarify so I'm going to do it this way.

Back