Brewing with intoxicating blunders

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IXVolt

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Two nights ago I brewed a Lemon Lager. While brewing I learned that beer is good but too much and certain details... miss the bus. Luckily I had three other people helping, so between all of us we were are to get the job done.

• Forgot to add the Irish Moss
  • One burnt ankle (from the IC)
  • Couldn't find any of my (4) thermometers to monitor the wort temp
  • Dumped the yeast in without rehydrating (just didn't care at the time)
  • Pitched at around 80~90 deg ( I think )
Next day I had beer on the closet wall... and on the floor

Fortunately didn't loose a whole lot of beer, quickly took off the airlock and installed a blow-off tube.

All in all I think I'll brew with a few less in the future...

Anyone else have intoxicating blunders?
:tank:

i think someone recently made a thread in the drunken ramblings forum where they'd gone through the last week's worth of posts in the forums and found every case where something went wrong because the brewer was inebriated. it was pretty damn funny.

also i don't see how any of those factors would have constituted a beer explosion. well... maybe that yeast went crazy for the first couple hours due to high temperatures, but still seems a bit odd. what was the recipe?

The beer didn't really explode, just a large over flow.

Which I think was due to the high temp when I added the yeast

Here's my recipe

10lb 2 row
1lb crystal 10L

.5oz fuggle - 60 min
.5oz fuggle - 15 min

Lemon Zest from 2 lemons at 15 min
Mashed 60 min at 152.5deg.

Oh the other thing I forgot was to take a OG reading, really bummed about that.

The beer didn't really explode, just a large over flow.
Oh the other thing I forgot was to take a OG reading, really bummed about that.

This shouldn't be a problem! You should be able to estimate your OG just by judging the weight of the carboy as you carried it to the closet. :)

I though of adding this to the list "You know you're not a noob when..." just as a joke.

I was brewing a citrus wheat brew from extract yesterday and i had the same mess in my closet this morning. I rehydrated the yeast and pitched it when the wort was 78. This is only my second batch so i dont have a lot of experience, could the citrus cause the yeast to go crazy?

how much wort did you have and what size was your container? I have brewed two 5 gal batches in a 6 1/2 gal ale pail and have had nothing but a bit of krausen in my airlock so far...

how much wort did you have and what size was your container? I have brewed two 5 gal batches in a 6 1/2 gal ale pail and have had nothing but a bit of krausen in my airlock so far...

I made a 5 gal batch and put it in a 6.5 gal carboy, the last batch did not get near the top at all. I will be installing a blowoff valve shortly.

Intoxicated blunders? I prefer to think of them as lapses of inspired creativity. Although when I read my brew book and I see "WOW!!!" as my original gravity for an double IPA, I think I may have had one too many.

Back