Primary dry hop question...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdoss03

Reaction score
I want to start out by apologizing as I am sure this has been answered here a million times, I just couldn't find it. But I just dry hopped my smash MO/Citra IPA in the primary with 2.5 ounces of Citra pellets. Tomorrow will be day 5 of dry hop so I will be bottling either tomorrow or within the next couple of days. All of the pellet sludge is still at the top of the fermenter, so should I leave it or maybe give the sludge a poke with a sanitized tube to coax it into settling out?

if you have any way of cold crashing the primary, you may get some of the hops to settle as the yeast fall out of suspension.

What I do is give the carboy a shake and most will drop to the bottom. I also add one cup of gelatin as a fining agent. let the carboy sit of 2 or 3 days as cool as you can get it and it should be OK.

I have also had pretty good luck with speeding the dropping process by giving my carboy a small swirl or two. Also using google is alot better than the built in search bar:mug:

Is it floating, or coating above the beer level?

If floating, chill it. If coating the inside of the fermenter above the beer, leave it alone, it is nasty bitter stuff you don't want in your beer.

I put a sanitized nylon mesh bag over the end of my racking can and just rack as normal. Never see any hop material coming through.

Back