Second brew gone bad at 2 wks in bottle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StophJS

Reaction score
Well it's another sad day for my homebrewing. I recently had a stout which got infected and really started to show the flavor transformation at 2 weeks in the bottle, and since then I have brewed midwest ferocious IPA and bottled it. I started drinking it at a week, and now after it's been in the bottles for 12 days, I just cracked one and it seems to be going down the same road. Worst part is, I am getting a big kettle for full boils and a patio burner for Christmas but I'm just about ready to quit brewing.

Once again, all sweetness has disappeared from the beer and turned into a very unpleasant sort of acidic bitterness. Last time there was a heavy taste of cloves, I'm not getting that so far but definitely the same mouth feel. I'll probably have gushers in a couple days. I took every sanitation precaution this time, and this still happens. I have no idea what to do.

Could just be shear bad luck.

What are you using to sanitize? Was everything that touched beer sanitized for the required time? Were your hands? After sanitizing did you allow anything to touch an unsanitized surface? i.e. a sanitized spoon resting on your counter.

I find that having an extra sanitized 5 gallon Homer bucket helps so that I can just throw all sanitized items into it to make sure they dont touch things they shouldnt.

Well it's another sad day for my homebrewing. I recently had a stout which got infected and really started to show the flavor transformation at 2 weeks in the bottle, and since then I have brewed midwest ferocious IPA and bottled it. I started drinking it at a week, and now after it's been in the bottles for 12 days, I just cracked one and it seems to be going down the same road. Worst part is, I am getting a big kettle for full boils and a patio burner for Christmas but I'm just about ready to quit brewing.

Once again, all sweetness has disappeared from the beer and turned into a very unpleasant sort of acidic bitterness. Last time there was a heavy taste of cloves, I'm not getting that so far but definitely the same mouth feel. I'll probably have gushers in a couple days. I took every sanitation precaution this time, and this still happens. I have no idea what to do.

That's a little young still. Are you sure the acidic tang is not carbonic acid?

I always rinse my bottles right after I pour out of them, and on bottling day I fill up the bottling bucket with an iodophor solution and give the bottles at least two minutes. Then I set them neck down on some paper towels on the counter. I figure this lets the iodophor run out and keeps sanitary contact around the mouth of the bottles.

I use very hot water and iodophor for the siphon hose and autoshipon and all that. That stuff sits on the counter on paper towels with beer contact surfaces off of the counter until I use them. I like the idea of an extra sanitized bucket.. I'll have to look into that.

It's all just very disheartening when people talk about brewing for years with no infections, and I infect two in a row within my first 4 months or so.

That's a little young still. Are you sure the acidic tang is not carbonic acid?

I would love for that to be the case, but it's hard for me to imagine. It just has such a similar mouth feel to my last infection, and the beer has tasted fantastic up until this point. It was a big citrusy hop bomb, and now it's a dry, bitter, frothy feeling thing with no real flavors to speak of.

Edit: I've found a couple links online that support the possibility that it's just severely overcarbed. Definitely hope that's it, although I suppose I can't really know for sure.

I would love for that to be the case, but it's hard for me to imagine. It just has such a similar mouth feel to my last infection, and the beer has tasted fantastic up until this point. It was a big citrusy hop bomb, and now it's a dry, bitter, frothy feeling thing with no real flavors to speak of.

If it's the same flavor and in all the bottles it would seem strange that the bottles were the source. Maybe the bottling bucket (spigot?), bottle filling wand, etc?

If it's the same flavor and in all the bottles it would seem strange that the bottles were the source. Maybe the bottling bucket (spigot?), bottle filling wand, etc?

That was my line of reasoning on my last infection so I did take extra care with those parts this time. I actually removed the spigot and tried my best to give it a serious cleaning. I can't say with certainty that it's uniform with this batch though, just that I've now opened two bottles in a row now and they're both bad.

What's your process to bottle; i.e. take us from mixing your priming sugar to racking, bottling, type of gear you're using etc.

You're a candidate for winning the lotto if 2 back-to-back batches were infected based solely on odds.

EDIT: Could you be tasting astringency? A drying, puckering sensation...
Did your recipes use steeping grains and how did you steep them?

Instead of resting your bottles and equipment on paper towels on the counter, mix up a batch of star san in a bucket and put them in there.

What's your process to bottle; i.e. take us from mixing your priming sugar to racking, bottling, type of gear you're using etc.

You're a candidate for winning the lotto if 2 back-to-back batches were infected based solely on odds.

EDIT: Could you be tasting astringency? A drying, puckering sensation...
Did your recipes use steeping grains and how did you steep them?

There is a definitely an astringency to it, but I only steeped 4 oz of grains and only let it get over 170 for a minute or so. Even so, if there were astringency from that I believe it would have been there from the get go.

On bottling day, I mix up a 5 gallon batch of iodophor in my bottling bucket after I've cleaned it with a rag and hot water. I sanitize the counter and lay out paper towels. I clean the spigot, siphon hose, autosiphon and bottling wand with very hot water from the sink spray, and let it all sit in the iodophor for 5 minutes or so. After that I set all this stuff out on the counter on the paper towels.

After this, I sanitize all previously rinsed bottles in the iodophor for 3 or 4 minutes, and set them out on the counter. I throw enough caps in a bowl with some of the iodophor. Once everything is laid out, I dump the iodophor. I heat 2 cups or so of tap water (maybe not so good come to think of it) in a pot and mix in my priming sugar. I let this cool a bit and toss it in the bottling bucket. Then I rack in my beer, get my hose and wand attached to the spigot, then pour probably 10 or so bottles at a time, stopping in between to cap.

This complete 180 of flavor literally happened over night in the bottles. It is just baffling.

Hm. I noticed at the beginning, I was happy drinking beer after a very short time in the bottle, as in, a few days after! I really could not tell the difference, I don't think (or I was just so impatient, I couldn't help myself). About a month ago I cracked open a milk stout after about 10 days in the bottle and it was AWFUL. My husband used words like "vomit" to describe it. I was practically ready to dump it out so I could use the bottles, but I just let it sit there. About a month later, it's much better. It's tasty, even. How old is the oldest bottle of this bad stuff do you have? Maybe try it again and see if it's the same.

Hmm... I don't think it's infected. Post your recipe and process, particularly times (i.e., boil, steep, ferment/secondary, conditioning). Also, include anything else you use. We'll figure it out ;)

Cheers!

Did you take a gravity reading? The time I had an infected batch, a scotch ale went from around 1.080 to 1.002. It was at 1.012 when bottling...I'm lucky none exploded! I think my infection was some sort of wild yeast or brett based on the funk that started to develop and a bit of tartness.

You should make sure that the gravity is stable. If it keeps going down, put them all in the fridge and drink them fast.

Hey welcome to the hobby. That being said the best thing you can do for your beer is to relax and give it time. A lot of us (not everyone) will let our beer sit in the fermenter for atleast 3 weeks if not longer. Then let it sit in bottles for 3 weeks before trying them. You need to give it time. your beer is really green still. Do you have anyone else that you brew with or know someone who brews around you? If you do let them try your beer without you commenting on it and get there opinion.

I wouldn't give up yet. If your beer is starting off good then you know you can brew a good beer. Like the others said the more information you can give the more we can assist. Also if your still in Grand Rapids look into the Primetime Brewers Homebrew club. Talking and bringing samples to other Homebrewers works wonders for your brew. Bring a copy of your recipe and any notes you took during your brew day.

Personally I would look into the over carbonation problem. If you bottled too soon your yeast is going to go nuts once you rouse it with a little corn sugar. A good hydrometer will let you know when to rack. For your first few batches you will use it too much. Once you get all zen on your beer you will test it a little less. Really this is only because you learn how long things take. I have over, and under, carb'ed my beer and it is amazing how those little bubbles change the flavor of your beer.

Thanks all for the responses, and Merry Christmas :mug:

How old is the oldest bottle of this bad stuff do you have? Maybe try it again and see if it's the same.

This is all from the same batch, and it's been in the bottle now for 13 days after sitting in primary for 18 days. I'm thinking about maybe sitting on a couple of these for a while but I wonder if I'll have bottle bombs later on. That milk stout I had to dump was starting to gush around 2 1/2 weeks.

Hmm... I don't think it's infected. Post your recipe and process, particularly times (i.e., boil, steep, ferment/secondary, conditioning). Also, include anything else you use. We'll figure it out ;)

Cheers!

Thanks for the help and encouragement. The recipe was 6 lbs. of Gold liquid malt extract, 3.3 lbs of Amber liquid malt extract, 4 oz. of Crystal 50-60L, 1 oz. bittering hops, 2 oz. Amarillo, 2 oz. Citra, 1 oz. Ahtanum hops. The boil was an hour long after a twenty minute steep, and I used spring water for both the boil (3 gal) and the top-off water. To cool the wort I used an ice bath and stirring gently with a sanitized spoon; this got it down in 23 minutes.

After this, I pitched my yeast, and let the beer sit in primary for 10 days, then another 8 days of dry hopping. I took a reading before dry hopping and it was at 1.02, but I have to admit I didn't take a reading again at bottling time. I was paranoid about increasing my chance of infection and figured with 18 days and a medium flocc yeast like S-05 it would be done.

Once in bottles, unlike my previous milk stout, the beer actually seemed to start to carbonate nicely. Pretty quickly actually.. at 5 days or so it seemed just fine to me, but wasn't pouring with a big head unless I poured aggressively. At this point, the beer tasted very good but had had a hint of a smell and flavor I can only describe as musty. A couple days later, this was gone and the beer was just purely delicious. On Thursday, I still didn't detect anything was amiss with the beer. Last night, poured one and took a sip, and knew immediately something was wrong. The beer has no discernible flavors except for unpleasant acidity, and a frothy mouth feel.

Did you take a gravity reading? The time I had an infected batch, a scotch ale went from around 1.080 to 1.002. It was at 1.012 when bottling...I'm lucky none exploded! I think my infection was some sort of wild yeast or brett based on the funk that started to develop and a bit of tartness.

You should make sure that the gravity is stable. If it keeps going down, put them all in the fridge and drink them fast.

I do get the feeling that the gravity isn't stable. I feel like there is a wild yeast or something in there eating up the residual sugars and driving off hop aromas. The trouble with putting them all the fridge and drinking them quick is that they already taste bad :( Thankfully I drank nearly half the batch young before this happened.

Hey welcome to the hobby. That being said the best thing you can do for your beer is to relax and give it time. A lot of us (not everyone) will let our beer sit in the fermenter for atleast 3 weeks if not longer. Then let it sit in bottles for 3 weeks before trying them. You need to give it time. your beer is really green still. Do you have anyone else that you brew with or know someone who brews around you? If you do let them try your beer without you commenting on it and get there opinion.

The one person I did have try it did comment on the "frothy mouthfeel" of the beer, leading me to believe it's overcarbonated. But I believe wild yeast and the like will create co2 when they're doing their thing, so it might be overcarbonation as a result of infection.

Also if your still in Grand Rapids look into the Primetime Brewers Homebrew club. Talking and bringing samples to other Homebrewers works wonders for your brew. Bring a copy of your recipe and any notes you took during your brew day.

I have over, and under, carb'ed my beer and it is amazing how those little bubbles change the flavor of your beer.

I've been meaning to check out that brew club actually. As far as carbonation, I would love to believe that this is anything but an infection. Wish there was some easier way to tell whether it's one or the other though.

Edit: Just cracked one this morning. Clearly was more pressurized than a typical bottled beer, and the beer is foaming up in the bottle. Just like my infected Milk Stout minus the awful clove flavor. I poured some and shook all the co2 out of it to take a gravity reading and it appears to be in range for FG. Drank the flat gravity sample and it just tastes bad.

:drunk: I'm gonna beat a dead horse here and say your beers still to young to be thinking its infected. I'm impatient and always try a bottle or two before the beers conditioned, and seldom am I impressed with what I'm drinking.... In fact, when I had less brewing under my belt, tasting beer after a week or two in bottles made me worry about infection. Green beer can taste downright bad.... Tart, acidic (carbonic acid), the yeast in suspension have a bite that over shadows hop and other flavors. Sounds like that's what you're experiencing.
Now, for your avg beer, condition at 70^ for AT LEAST three weeks, after that, refridgerate the bottles for AT LEAST a couple days. THEN drink one and make an accurate assessment of your beer. If its sour, funky, has a gravity way lower than your FG, then start thinking infection. If its just bubbly, foamy and watery tasting, try backing off the priming sugar next time.

Edit: Just cracked one this morning. Clearly was more pressurized than a typical bottled beer, and the beer is foaming up in the bottle. Just like my infected Milk Stout minus the awful clove flavor. I poured some and shook all the co2 out of it to take a gravity reading and it appears to be in range for FG. Drank the flat gravity sample and it just tastes bad.

Was it warm? Non infected high carbed beer will gush if it is young and warm. If you chill it in the freezer for an hour and it still gushes, then there might be a problem.

Now, for your avg beer, condition at 70^ for AT LEAST three weeks, after that, refridgerate the bottles for AT LEAST a couple days. THEN drink one and make an accurate assessment of your beer. If its sour, funky, has a gravity way lower than your FG, then start thinking infection. If its just bubbly, foamy and watery tasting, try backing off the priming sugar next time.

I understand the importance of aging and all that, but I'm also concerned that if there is an infection I'm going to have exploding bottles and a mess in my girlfriend's apartment. I think for now I'll just crack one periodically to make sure that if pressure progresses too far that I can start dumping.

Was it warm? Non infected high carbed beer will gush if it is young and warm. If you chill it in the freezer for an hour and it still gushes, then there might be a problem.

The one that I cracked this morning was indeed warm, so you nailed that. The very first one that tasted really funny to me though yesterday had been in the fridge for 8 hours when I drank it. The second off one was cold as well.

Could also be oxidation. Could you have aerated the beer too much during bottling? That will turn the hop flavor and aroma into bitterness. I think you would have to foam it pretty bad in the bottles for it to happen that fast though.

I understand the importance of aging and all that, but I'm also concerned that if there is an infection I'm going to have exploding bottles and a mess in my girlfriend's apartment. I think for now I'll just crack one periodically to make sure that if pressure progresses too far that I can start dumping.

I get that, it's your call. I just think you might be jumping the gun here. You're trying green, possible overcarbed beer and assuming infection. If you get bottles actually exploding, different story.... But drinking them early to assess when to dump them seems silly in this case. With a stable gravity, it's doubtfully infected. If its over carbed, you can carefully crack them open and recap them after the sit and degas a bit. (done that with an overcarbed batch and it was good). Give it a few weeks and if they're not grenades, assess the sitchyation then. Until then, I'd highly recommend the RDWHAHB method. (just don't RDWH this batch of homebrew til you give it some time).

Thanks for the help and encouragement. The recipe was 6 lbs. of Gold liquid malt extract, 3.3 lbs of Amber liquid malt extract, 4 oz. of Crystal 50-60L, 1 oz. bittering hops, 2 oz. Amarillo, 2 oz. Citra, 1 oz. Ahtanum hops. The boil was an hour long after a twenty minute steep, and I used spring water for both the boil (3 gal) and the top-off water. To cool the wort I used an ice bath and stirring gently with a sanitized spoon; this got it down in 23 minutes.

After this, I pitched my yeast, and let the beer sit in primary for 10 days, then another 8 days of dry hopping. I took a reading before dry hopping and it was at 1.02, but I have to admit I didn't take a reading again at bottling time. I was paranoid about increasing my chance of infection and figured with 18 days and a medium flocc yeast like S-05 it would be done.

Once in bottles, unlike my previous milk stout, the beer actually seemed to start to carbonate nicely. Pretty quickly actually.. at 5 days or so it seemed just fine to me, but wasn't pouring with a big head unless I poured aggressively. At this point, the beer tasted very good but had had a hint of a smell and flavor I can only describe as musty. A couple days later, this was gone and the beer was just purely delicious. On Thursday, I still didn't detect anything was amiss with the beer. Last night, poured one and took a sip, and knew immediately something was wrong. The beer has no discernible flavors except for unpleasant acidity, and a frothy mouth feel.

Like I said, you described some pretty strict sanitary practices, so my guess is your beers are not infected. After reading this latest post, I saw a few things are suspect. So, here are some of my thoughts (not brief... sorry):

1. At 9.3 lbs of LME (highly fermentable) and only 4 oz (.25 lbs) of Crystal malt (no diastatic power/not fermentable), you're not going to get very much sweetness in the final product... at all. Particularly for an IPA, even if from a kit, I like to balance the hoppiness with a good dose of malt-sweetness; I usually shoot for between 1 to 2 lbs of Crystal malt per 5 gallon batch. A part of this also has to do with the type of yeast you're using... I believe the Ferocious IPA kit comes with WLP007 (Dry English), a highly attenuative yeast (one of my house strains!) that will chew right through all that DME.

First Suggestion: use more specialty/Crystal malt.​

2. You never included the temp at which you let the ale ferment. My assumption is, as a newer brewer (so rad), you let it sit in a dark closet, which works great! Another assumption I'll make is that you don't keep your home thermostat set to 78F ;). If this is true and your home stays around 68F (where your thermostat is), than your closet is probably closer to 65F. If you did, in fact, use WLP007, this is actually the temp I prefer to ferment at... but I let it sit in primary for 3 to 4 weeks to really ferment out (you let it sit for 18 days total, no?). If you want to drink the beer sooner, you can always raise the temp of the beer after a week or so to between 68F and 72F, which will allow the yeast to work a tad harder... and also produce some esters (which many tend to appreciate).

Second Suggestion: monitor fermentation temps a tad closer.​

3. As far as the beer being overcarbonated... if my last assumption is true (that your fermentation temp was a tad on the low end), then it's likely your yeast just hadn't finished working yet. This can be okay, if you cold crash the beer a day or so before bottling. If not, you risk bottling still-fermenting beer, which could create a number of issues, including over-carbonation, changing flavor... or bottle bombs. Next time you brew, if you're pleased with the FG and taste, throw your fermenter in the garage (since it's Winter) the night before you bottle. This will cause the yeast to go dormant and fall out of suspension (don't worry, there will more than enough left to carbonate your beer). It will also help to clarify your beer, as long as you don't agitate too much prior to or during bottling. I'm always a tad surprised when folks get fully carbonated beer in less than 2 weeks; I might be wrong, but that would indicate to me there was still too much yeast left in suspension. The "sour" taste you refer to is most likely carbonic acid, something that significantly diminishes over time and is a natural product of the carbonation process. I won't usually crack open a bottled beer for at least 3 weeks post-bottling.

Third Suggestion: cold crash prior to bottling and give it enough time to bottle condition.​

4. DON'T STOP BREWING! Take each one of your batches as a lesson and have fun! I only brewed 2 kit batches before I started designing my own beers, mainly because I wasn't all that impressed with the kits. Look up some clone recipes, put your spin on them, and enjoy the rewards of your labor.

Fourth Suggestion: HAVE FUN!​

Everyday, so many new brewers are "POSITVE" they have an infection, it taste or smells "sour" or just tastes funky and they haven't even waitied the minimum period of 3 weeks most beers takes to lose the green or excess co2 "tang."

And despite what we tell them, about how infections are rare, and that a lot of new brewers don't know an infection from green beer, they insist they know more about it than the folks who have been brewing for years, and were where they were.

I suggest you read the stories in THIS THREAD and read the stories of folks who were so sure they're beer was ruined, but decided to take our advice and walk away for a few weeks...and come to find out that their beer was fine. That they were wrong and the beer wasn't ruined.

And now was one of the best beers they ever had.....

*shrug*

Revvy said:
Everyday, so many new brewers are "POSITVE" they have an infection, it taste or smells "sour" or just tastes funky and they haven't even waitied the minimum period of 3 weeks most beers takes to lose the green or excess co2 "tang."

And despite what we tell them, about how infections are rare, and that a lot of new brewers don't know an infection from green beer, they insist they know more about it than the folks who have been brewing for years, and were where they were.

I suggest you read the stories in THIS THREAD and read the stories of folks who were so sure they're beer was ruined, but decided to take our advice and walk away for a few weeks...and come to find out that their beer was fine. That they were wrong and the beer wasn't ruined.

*shrug*

Amen.

*shrug*

Thanks man! I was hoping' you'd chime in on this one. I really think he's trying these too early and worrying that taste is an infection.

Could also be oxidation. Could you have aerated the beer too much during bottling? That will turn the hop flavor and aroma into bitterness. I think you would have to foam it pretty bad in the bottles for it to happen that fast though.

The only time I could think that would happen is when using the bottling wand. To my knowledge that wouldn't account for some of the other stuff that's going on with the beer. It could be a combination of issues affecting my beer, who knows. :confused:

I get that, it's your call. I just think you might be jumping the gun here. You're trying green, possible overcarbed beer and assuming infection. If you get bottles actually exploding, different story.... But drinking them early to assess when to dump them seems silly in this case. With a stable gravity, it's doubtfully infected. If its over carbed, you can carefully crack them open and recap them after the sit and degas a bit. (done that with an overcarbed batch and it was good). Give it a few weeks and if they're not grenades, assess the sitchyation then. Until then, I'd highly recommend the RDWHAHB method. (just don't RDWH this batch of homebrew til you give it some time).

After making sure the gravity doesn't keep going down over the next couple days, I do plan on just letting the beer go for a few weeks to see what happens. I was leaning toward infection with this one from the get go because my last batch was positively infected and this one definitely resembles it, and naturally was bottled under very similar conditions. Could certainly be a coincidence though. Time will tell.

Like I said, you described some pretty strict sanitary practices, so my guess is your beers are not infected. After reading this latest post, I saw a few things are suspect. So, here are some of my thoughts (not brief... sorry):

I read over it all :mug: Thanks for all the input. As far as temp, the beer fermented at a pretty stable 66 of so, so I think I'm pretty golden as far as a that goes. Just going to let it sit now and hope nothing explodes on me. Cheers.

Go to your local big box and get some plastic drop cloth and wrap your whole batch in it. That way if one bursts it's not a big deal. Clean all your gear, soak it in bleach, whatever you need to do to shake the feeling that something is dirty. Brew another batch and when you take the first sip of that batch, try the one you think is infected.

Like others have said, do not stop brewing. Sometimes **** happens, and other times the **** just needs to stew a little. If it is infected, which I'm among the group that think it's not, chalk it up to experience. It says nothing about your ability to brew. All of us have screwed something up along the way at some point but we keep going for the love of it.

Edit: oops sorry about the language mods

Thanks for the advice. I guess the girlfriend just bought me a 36 qt stockpot, a patio burner, and a IC for Christmas, so now does seem like a silly time to stop.. :mug:

StophJS said:
Thanks for the advice. I guess the girlfriend just bought me a 36 qt stockpot, a patio burner, and a IC for Christmas, so now does seem like a silly time to stop.. :mug:

Indeed it does.

How many batches have you made using this process before it started happening?

My guess is you have a bit of gunk stuck somewhere in your spigot, hose, bottling wand, or autosiphon. I know I have had some crud inside each of those before that was basically impossible to get out just by normal cleaning and sanitizing procedures.

Look VERY CLOSELY at each one for spots and what have you. Especially the spigot...those can get mold & bacteria forming in the ring between the outer and inner sections of the valve that you sometimes cannot even see without taking it apart.

The timing certainly suggests the infection is being introduced as part of the bottling process.

Maybe also include the dishwasher as part of your bottle prep. While paper towels are better than nothing, they may not be completely sanitary. I prefer the last steps in bottling to the be dishwasher where both hot water and high heat kill anything I might have missed.

I wouldn't touch my stout at 2 weeks in the bottle. They taste terrible then. Give it 12 weeks and then sample. If it tastes bad then, you have a reason to dump and cry.

I figured I'd post an update on this thread. At about three weeks in the bottle now, I've opened a few more of these. I've found a few bottles in the batch that seemed to have the gusher bug, and the rest are perfectly fine. I can only conclude that I had a few dirty bottles in the mix, probably with some left over wild yeast from my previous infection. Thanks for helping me troubleshoot. :mug:

That is good news.
It also might be an indication that you aren't cleaning all bottles as thoroughly as you should.. Even though you rinse after use, they can still be dirty (it only takes one bit to ruin the bottle they say). I always rinse after use too. It might be overkill to some people, but before use they get a short soak in oxyclean free (the one w/o any scents added) and I visually inspect them for any bits of residue. Those which are still dirty get a scrub w bottle brush and re-inspected before going into my Star-san bucket.

I plan on doing an oxyclean soak before next bottle. I also discovered my dishwasher is very well suited for washing/sanitizing bottles so I plan on giving that a shot, either on its own or in addition to the usual iodophor soak before bottling.

If you mean wash, as in the inside- I don't believe a dishwasher can't reliably reach the nitty gritty at the bottom of each bottle bc of the small opening/distance. It takes a bottle brush imo.

IMHO, I agree that you need to use a bottle brush to clean. On bottle day eve, I always put my bottles in the dishwasher on the sanitize setting with some star san instead of soap and give it a run and don't open it until I'm ready to pull them out to bottle. No worries!

Back