Hooray!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GrantH

Reaction score
I don't know if this has been touched upon yet, but Mississippi has FINALLY passed a new beer law allowing gourmet beers to be sold in state. This is huge for us in the state.

It was raised from 5% ABW to 8% ABW. This allows us to get most of the good stuff now.

Thought i'd post the news in case anyone hasn't heard yet.

I do work down in Columbus, on occasion and was always disappointed by the beer I could find. This truly is good news!

Just in time for Bud Platinum. Texas had a law that required beers over 5% to be labeled as an ale but strangely it was overturned right when Platinum started to hit the shelves....

Congrats to everyone in MS!

Except those hand-catching catfish guys, and anyone named Leroy.

Leroy? That's not even a proper name! It's like French for "The Roy" or something?

Oh, and except for any of those MS cops that I see on the TV. You know the ones, baccy chewin' spittin' and all that.

Oh yeah, and Brad Pitt! Say no more!

I know the RYP site shows it still in process, but the owner of a local Beer Bar who is active in RYP says it is everything but "official". Maybe it's a bit premature, but when I hear it from that source, it seems a bit more secure than just word of mouth. We shall see!

Tomorrow looks like the day for the senate. I may or may not have misunderstood the posting I read, but i'll keep high hopes and go with it being passed already :)

As of this morning Wednesday Mar 7, here is the latest on the 2 RYP ABW bills:

Senate Bill # 2878 (Horhn - D) Status: Pending debate & vote on Senate floor

1. Senate Economic Development Committee - PASSED!
  2. Senate Tourism Committee - PASSED!
  3. Senate Floor - On the Senate calendar - #90
  4. House Committee
  5. House Floor
  6. Governor signs bill into law

House Bill # 1422 (Delano - R) Status: Passed the House & sent to the Senate
  1. House Ways & Means Committee - PASSED!
  2. House Floor - PASSED!
  3. Senate Committee - Pending committee assignment
  4. Senate Floor
  5. Governor signs bill into law

looking here, doesn't look like it is a done deal yet http://raiseyourpints.com/

True...keep an eye on the site for updates, or follow on Twitter for the most up-to-date info (@RaiseYourPints)

There are two identical RYP ABW bills. One started in the Senate and one started in the House. Whichever makes it to the Governor first will be the one.

The Senate bill has cleared its two committees and now is just waiting to be brought up on the Senate floor for a vote. Small chance it could happen today but it's way down on the agenda.

The House ABW bill cleared it's committee and the House floor and has been sent to the Senate. We're waiting on it to be assigned to committee..

Being from MS originally, and knowing how people there can be, I wouldn't get my hopes up that they pass the Floor votes. I really hope they do, but wouldn't hold my breath. It would be nice to be able to grab some decent beer on my trips back home.

I also heard that the Homebrew Bills died in Committee yesterday :(

I'm sure you probalby already know, but apperently Lazy Magnoila is really involved with all of these bills. I'd recommend given them as much business as you can. Good beer and from everything I hear from people on the coast, a real great group of folks.

It looks like they did pass the floor votes on each bill for each "party", now they just have to do it once more for one of the two bills. I talked with a brewer from Lazy Mag and he said that Anhauser has backed it quite a bit, so that may be a good bit of the push to get it through this year.

The Homebrew Bills did die, but I don't think they were as hopeful as the % bills are. It's looking very good at the moment given it's passed both already only in 2 seperate bills.

Sure was!!! Just got back from the celebratory Crawfish! It was signed Thursday afternoon but with the Holiday it was not announced until this morning.

Back