C02 Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewDrinkBrew

Reaction score
I just bought a keg setup and had my 5lb C02 tank filled at a local welding shop. When I got the tank home I did give the tank a quick open to let the pressure release for a quick "psst" (sound effect) just to check it out and then again to show the GF. When I hooked the tank up to the regulator it now shows just above 500psi at approx 40 degrees F. However, this is at the "order new tank" portion of the gauge. I got all the equipment from KegConnection and the shop I filled up at was recommended on the "BURP" website. My questions would be the following:

1) Is 500psi low for a refill, if so, would opening the tank a couple times do it?

2) I paid $27 for the fill-up including a "Standard $10 Hazardous materials Fee" that seemed way more expensive that what I was told it should be, is it?

3) Can you just fill-up at a paintball shop or is there a different because they use liquid C02 and kegs do not . . . ?

Any help would be great!

Thanks,

Dan

1.) The guage for tank fill is useless. Mine always says "order new tank" even when full. Ignore it. 2.) 27 bucks is highway robbery. I get mine filled at a fire extinguisher place for around 15 bucks. 3.) CO2 is CO2. If the paintball shop will fill your 5LB tank....go for it.

Hey Hammy,

Where in MD do you get your tank filled? I live in Severn (near Fort Meade) and went to GTS-Welco in Jessup which was supposed to be one of the better places/deals according to something I read from BURP. Glad to know I wasn't just being cheap, but it's a bummer because they are only a 10min trip.

Thanks for the help!

Dan

I live up in Cecil county. I actually get by CO2 in Newark Del. It's on the way home from work. Kinda outta the way for you lol.....

1) Is 500psi low for a refill, if so, would opening the tank a couple times do it?

500psi sounds about right for co2 at 4 deg C. Check on a temp vs pressure chart for co2. Co2 is a liquafiable compressed gas (may have those terms in the wrong order) but that means it is store in a liquid state at a high pressure. This is why it is measured by weight, the gauge should sit at 500 psi (since you have it in your fridge it will be at near constant temp) untill there is no more liquid co2 left in the bottle, then the gauge will start to drop letting you know its time for a new bottle (I think at 500 psi = 34 atms you should have about 30x the volume of you tank left when the gauge begins to drop - I think)

Back