Dough in Temp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

extra_medium

Reaction score
What is the real benefit of a dough in temp? Can i start out with cold to warm (80 to 90f) and use a HERMS to bring it up to 154 or whatever is called for?

The real benefit to a dough in rest (90-110F) is to completely saturate all the grains and distribute the enzymes and dissolve much of the starches as possible before bringing up to another rest.

I use a 104->122->148-155 schedule. I get a consistent 80% with 93+%conversion efficiency.

I am planning on grinding into my keggle MTL, putting it back on the stand, fill and start the HERMS at the same time till i get it to 105F, then up to 120+/- 5 then to final mash temp. My concern is the time the grist will be between 60 and 90. I am guessing it will only take about 10 min to fill and heat to 105. I am not too worried about dough balls since I will be recirculating continuously.

Why the concern? The point of starting low is to avoid dough balls.

Having the mash sit below 90 for a short period of time will cause no harm.

The real benefit to a dough in rest (90-110F) is to completely saturate all the grains and distribute the enzymes and dissolve much of the starches as possible before bringing up to another rest.

I use a 104->122->148-155 schedule. I get a consistent 80% with 93+%conversion efficiency.

So do I with a single infusion. There's absolutely nothing wrong with your method, but IMO and in my experience it's not necessary.

I am asking because I want to put my keggle on the ground, grind grain directly into it, put it back on the stand and then add the water. It is all about weight.

Back