Really bitter taste when bottling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GoGreen

Reaction score
I just bottled my first brew (American Pale Ale). I couldn't help but taste a sample and it was it extremely bitter, not much flavor.

Will this change as it conditions in the bottle, or do I just have a bad batch of beer waiting for me in two weeks?

don't worry, it will fade and mellow with time and carbonation. Remember, 3 weeks
@ 70*

COuld just be "green" beer and maybe still lots of suspended 'stuff' in the beer. In time it should mellow out nicely - a few weeks or months will likely drastically change the beer. As a suggestion, every week or two, chill one beer and taste it so you'll see first-hand the transformation that occurs.

B

Had the same problem - I tried a bottle after 1, 2, 3 and 4 weeks. They all had different flavors. 1st week was somewhat bitter. 2nd week tasted like vinegar (thought it was infected). 3rd week was better tasting than 1st week. 4th week was alot smoother than 3rd. We need to be patient when it comes to our brews.

I just finished bottling my American IPA last weekend. It ended up sitting in the primary for 2 weeks & then 1 week of dry-hopping in my secondary.

At day 10 in the primary, I took a gravity reading & tasted the sample...same as yours, pretty bitter even though I only used 1 oz Simcoe for bittering at 60 minutes. At day 14 I took another reading. It was the same gravity so fermentation was complete, but it tasted 100% different/better than my first sample. The bitterness faded & my Chinook, Centennial, & Amarillo flavor hops really came through.

Your beer will mellow as it bottle conditions. You probably still had some hop particles in suspension when you tasted your sample. As your beer ages, everything will settle out at the bottom of the bottle & your flavor will come through as the bitterness fades.

Latest posts

Back