What would you do?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maffew

Reaction score
Ok, Have a wine expert 30 day kit I have been trying to degass now for 14 days. It was supposed to be ready to bottle tommorow but I cannot get the co2 out. I have used the whip with my drill and the mighty vac religously every day for 2 weeks. It just will not degas and I feel like I am ruining the wine by doing this everyday.Should I keep degassing or give up. If I give up what are my bottling options. The wine taste good so I dont want to dump it. I dont think it would be wise to cork it as I intended because I am scared it might blow. What would you guys do? Also I did everything per the instructions

Rdwhahb. Without the recipe and yeast I couldn't even guess what's going on. If this is your first than be patient. The directions cannot account for yeast activity, temp, etc.. If you have co2 than you have fermentation. That's the point,eh? Every time you think you should mess with, read a sticky or get on hbtwiki and read yourself into calmness.

I just did a kit that was the same way! What I finally realized was that my house is COLD and the wine was holding onto the gas, no matter how much I degassed.

I got a space heater and got the wine warm. THEN I used the wine whip one more time. And it worked perfectly, and I bottled a few days later.

You don't want to bottle a gassy wine. So either let it it sit and just ignore it for a while (and it will degas a bit on its own) or get it a bit warmer (75-80 is not too warm) and degas it.

I bumped the temp up to bout 80f about 5 days ago and the wine temp is about 76. Is it OK to keep doing it every day. Should I add some more kmeta just in case. I am scared it is going to get contaminated the more I monkey with it.

Back