Is this enough Yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

barhoc11

Reaction score
I need some help from fellow yeast washers...

I recently made a starter with some washed WLP838 that I had from a Dunkel.

I would guess that I had about 1oz of yeast (some sediment and trub mixed in) in the mason jar that I used.

My first step was to take this washed yeast and add it to 2L of 1.040 wort on the stirplate for about a day. After being on the stirplate, I cold crashed the 1 gallon jug I am using for a little over a day. I had a small amount of yeast on the bottom but not a ton so I stepped the starter up with another 2L of 1.040 wort after decanting out as much of the beer from the jug as I could.

Now it has been about 36 hours later and I have had the jug cold crashing for a few hours and noticed what seems to be a good amount of yeast on the bottom (see picture).

My question is this... How can I know how many yeast cells I started with in my washed mason jar (washed at the end of September 2012) and also, does it look like I have enough in this 1 gallon jug to add to 8.5 gallons of wort to make a Helles this weekend?

I hate making starters, especially stepping them up if I don't have to so if I have enough yeast now, I would like to call it a day and get started brewing.

I have used the calculator on yeastcalc.com but its kind of pointless not knowing my starting yeast counts. Can anyone please help me out with this?
WR19A.jpg

Thanks in advance!

You could always estimate the count that you put into the starter by using mr malty. Y can estimate % viability based on your dates, and the number of cells based on the amount of slurry you had. Then you plug that number of cells into the calculator as your starting cell count, he volume of the starter, and you will get out the estimated final number. This will all be rough, but without a microscope and hemocytometer you will always be rough.

Good luck!

You could always estimate the count that you put into the starter by using mr malty. Y can estimate % viability based on your dates, and the number of cells based on the amount of slurry you had. Then you plug that number of cells into the calculator as your starting cell count, he volume of the starter, and you will get out the estimated final number. This will all be rough, but without a microscope and hemocytometer you will always be rough.

Good luck!

+1, if you go to Mrmalty .com , plug in the numbers and select "repitch from slurry" it will give a good calculation of what you have and need from there.

Back