First time kegging, CO2 problem

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FScholle

Reaction score
Hi all,

So I kegged my first batch last night. Checked for gas leaks pretty carefully using soapy water, tightened a few connections where I was getting small leaks, then put everything in the fridge including the gas tank. Tank was full. This morning the needle was barely in the Green pressure range for the indicator. I don't suppose I can expect this much change in internal pressure by putting the tank in the fridge? So what......undiscovered leak?

Thanks for all input,

Frank

Normal from my understanding. As the C02 in the tank cools it condenses therefore lowering the pressure in the tank. You still have the same amount of C02 in the bottle.

I had my 20 lbs co2 tank in the keezer, it went from full to just into the yellow. I finally got a setup to get it outside the keezer and run the gas lines in, and as it warmed up the guage read full again.

Temp makes a big difference when messing with the guage.

Pressure gauge is useless to tell you how much gas I in the tank. Pressure in the tank varies widely with temperature with the exact same amount of CO2. The only thin the gauge will tell you is if you are empty.

OK thanks guys, makes me feel better. I tightened all connections again this morning and hooked it back up. Guess i just wasn't expecting that much change.

I use a 5# tank in my kegerator. When I take a full tank and put it in my fridge, by the next morning the needle will b in the red. I will serve about 12-16 kegs this way.

Gas pressure is directly affected by temperature.

Per the combined gas law "the ratio between the pressure-volume product and the temp of a system remains constant".

Back