Single infusion 156f questions???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rabeb25

HE of who can not be spoken of.
Reaction score
So... I have never done a single infusion 156f rest(all prior 156f rest have been multi-step145-156 hockurtz type rests which I do a ton of) but this beer "called" for it. It was fermented with s04 at 64 with a slow ramp to 68(about a .5 degree per day) had a good albeit short fermentation. Wort dropped clear, so I pulled a sample to get a reading. I got 7.2 brix( that's 1.020) for this beer, confused I pulled out the hydrometer and got the same thing. I tasted the sample and it's not sweet, certainly not 1.020 sweet. Thinking I had a stuck fermentation due to the super flocculent yeast, I sanitized a big slotted spoon gave her a stir, bumped up the temp to 70 and decided to come back 24hrs later. 24hrs later gave her a check again gravity did not budge. Ok, I thought time for some s05, so I made some of this up(yeast cream method) and pitched Saturday. Checked today she is at 1.019, I have positive pressure in the airlock but have not really seen any activity for about 4 days. I tasted it again, and maybe it's fooling me but it does not taste "sweet" to me body yes, sugary fresh wort/under attenuated sweet no.

It's gotta be done, right?

Pertinent information.
Og1.042 according to software fg is supposed to be 1.014

Brewing system is automated and temp sensors are calibrated to the tenth of a degree( verified with themopen every brew session) always see proper attenuation with other rest temperatures.

Wort oygenated to 12ppm with pure o2

Yeast was s04 readied via yeast cream method, sop for me fermented at 64(starting)

Yeast nutrients(Wyeast) added

I think that is everything, but let me know

Thanks

Why is that impossible? I calibrate my Milwaukee digital refractometer every time I use it, and my hydrometer reads 1.000 in RO water.

I think Yooper is referring to the fact that alcohol distorts refractometer readings, so unless it is an adjusted reading, they should not read the same. You sound like a very experienced brewer, so I assume you know that. The post fermentation calculators will get you in the ballpark, but will not be precise. So...is that the actual reading you got with your refractometer, or is it adjusted?

7.2 was the actual reading and beersmith said for fermenting gravity it was 1.020 as verified with my hydrometer(which read 1.020).

In digging into this further I have found the recipe I used to have 15% of crystal malts overall, so I guess this answered my question, yes it's certainly done.

OK, that's where you're throwing us...a refractometer cannot give an accurate reading on a fermented beer, only wort. The alcohol throws the reading off. So, if both instruments are properly calibrated, how could the hydrometer give the same reading? If the hydrometer reads 1020 the refractometer should read something like 1035 or 1040.

Edit: not that high with such a low SG, my bad. Your refractometer would read 8 brix (1.032) for the corrected value to be the equivalent to a hydrometer reading of 1.020

Sigh, you guys I know all about refractometers and alcohol. If you would have read my post it stated I got a brix reading of 7.2. Un-corrected this is 1.028, corrected with alcohol via beersmith 2.0 this is 1.019-1.020. My starting gravity was 11.2 brix and verified with my hydrometer to be 1.044. I know refractometers are iffy at best with alcohol, which is why I always do both, and default to my hydrometer post fermentation.

Sorry man, it wasn't clear that you were explaining that WAS corrected using BeerSmith. I'm sure you know how many people get on here upset that they have a high FG after getting a refractometer they were told would replace their hydrometer! So, unnecessary detour put behind it seems that a fairly low gravity beer mashed high and with a lot of crystal finished higher than intended.

Back