Keezer control problem - help!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McCuckerson

Reaction score
I picked up a decent deep freezer from one of those restaurant auctions for $50. So put a temp controller on it and away we go right? Nope, not me, nothing is ever that easy. I have tried the Ranco and a Zytron temp controller (both are very similar) and neither works. Here is the problem: when I plug the freezer in the wall, everything is good, when I plug it into the temp controller, the compressor "CLICKS" and shuts off until I unplug the freezer from the controller. The freezer is set to the lowest point, and the controllers are both operating normally.

Do I need to bypass the thermo? I shouldn't have to.

Please help!!!!!!

Ok. Not to insult you but I'll start at level 1. Here are some ideas I have for testing.
Let me know if this helps:

#1 - You have the freezer set to max cold, right?
#2 - The freezer works great when plugged into the wall and doesn't shut off, right?
#3 - Try taping the probe of the temp controller to a beer bottle in the keezer, insulate it with cardboard and more tape... still shutting off quickly?
#4 - The Temp controller is set to cooling (not heating cycle), right?
#5 - The Temp controller is set to max cold and it's still shutting off?
#6 - The +/- control is set to a very narrow margin? (like 1F not 10F)

Hope that helps you trouble shoot a little. I have a Johnson on my Keezer so I can't be more specific.

Latest posts

Back