Adjust for Altitude?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Parker36

Reaction score
I just got BrewSmith and was wondering if there was any way to factor in the altitude. I live in Colorado so the high altitude leaves me boiling at just over 200 on a good day

I was just thinking that during the boil, with me being almost 15 degrees cooler than everybody else it may change how much I am getting out of my hops

Here's one for Hop untilization, but I'm not sure I'd worry about it.

Recipe calculations had included the figuring of the boiling point of water at 14,497'. This was determined to be about 186F and, given this, hop utilization was calculated to be about one third that at sea level. We used one whisperlite stove and about 11 ounces of white gas. To save time on top, where the weather can turn without notice, several time-saving measures were adopted. These included a 30 minute mash, 30 minute sparge, and a 30 minute boil. Because of the shortened boil and lower boil temperatures, a single first wort hop addition was used. Three test batches were brewed at sea level following these procedures, and the resulting beer was deemed to be quite good.

http://www.whitelabs.com/highaltitude.html

EDIT: I thought of hops right after I posted the first time.

Ya I was kind of guessing that it didn't make too much of a difference since the batches I have made so far have turned out about what I was expecting. Badass logo by the way

For most styles the lower temperature will only move you from the top of the IBU range to the bottom. It will reduce the maximum IBUs you can achieve, but how many people can tell the difference between 80 IBU & 90? [Hint: about 1 out of every 20 who claim they can & I certainly can't.]

Back