Anybody like amped up recipes?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TrubDog

Reaction score
My last 3 or 4 brews I decided to up the grain bill to between 12 and 14 lbs. That gets me between 1.060 and 1.070. Three pints and everybody is happy!

Am I the only one that likes to brew higher gravity beers?

As much as I enjoy the complexity that can come with an aged high gravity beer, I enjoy the freshness and repeatability of session beers as well. Luckily I can brew both!

Having said that, my last two brews were 1.080 and 1.072.

I enjoy a High ABV recipe now and then (2-3 batches a year), and I used to brew/drink them much more. However, I quickly found out that the higher the ABV, the fewer bottles my friends and I drink. So, at the rate I like to brew, and the rate my friends will drink lower ABV beers, sessions are the way to go. I've now developed quite the taste for them (at home and at the bar). Something about having fewer carboys/bottles tied up for aging/carbing, as well as being able to drive home at the end of the night :tank:

Am I the only one that likes to brew higher gravity beers?

Yeah, I think so.

;)

Light-hearted sarcasm aside, I think I'm the only one of my friends who likes to brew low gravity session beers. It's a totally different challenge, but a fun one -- making something that's got lots of body and flavor (or the right amount, anyway) in a "small" ABV package.

I always boost my scotch ale & porter kits with extra malt and/or DME. I've been boosting my graff with extra malt and/or LME and/or FAJC. I like my brews right about 8% ABV, but my last graff was 9.2% ABV. I like the alcohol in my brews to kind of sneak up on ya. :drunk:
Regards, GF.

I brewed a nice bock and slipped a couple of pounds of honey in it. I know everyone says honey makes it dry and nasty, but it came out really good. OG of 1.092 It is a very bold beer and has a coffee taste to it. Drink one and quite a buzz. A buddy of mine calls it sleepy time..LOL

I've been brewing higher gravity beers lately but am gonna start doing more sessions. Fact is, I need to brew more and the lower gravity beers, the more I can drink.

What a quandry! Do I actually say "Session beers are for pussies"? Or do I just leave things alone & not say anything at all?
HHHHHHhhhhhmmmmmmmmmm...

I guess this is where I say "oh $hit, here it comes!" :D
Regards, GF.

EDIT: Goddamn I like rum! :drunk:

I will make anything with lactose a bigger beer than normal. Lactose intolerance inhibits my ability to enjoy more than one. So that one better rock my world.

Back