Man, I love Apfelwein

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the advice guys! I will go ahead and leave it in primary for 3 months and plan to enjoy it by November/December.

2v99nqt.jpg

My APA has a friend!

Just don't let it go too long too frequently. Usually you'd be ok but my last batch autolyzed really bad (albeit was left in for about 4-5mos). At the same time I've left several down for almost 6 that came out great.

I have a problem. My fermentation chamber is also my kezer for the time being, house is usually in the mid-high 80's over the summer. I'm not sure what to do with the apfelwein once my beer has finished fermenting.

Well, my apfelwein made some rhino farts. I think I'll be putting it into a swamp cooler this evening.. it has been fermenting around 72.

I hate to be the bad guy in this thread. I have been fermenting my apfewein for more than 3 months and i tasted tonight. And I don't like it

I'm not saying it is bad, just that I don't like it. I will bottle it anyway for the people that come to my place and don't like beer.

I don''t think I willl make it again. It is not just to my liking and I will stick to beer in the future.

I keep my full judgment unltil I taste it fullly carbonnated.

Akavango said:
I hate to be the bad guy in this thread. I have been fermenting my apfewein for more than 3 months and i tasted tonight. And I don't like it

I'm not saying it is bad, just that I don't like it. I will bottle it anyway for the people that come to my place and don't like beer.

I don''t think I willl make it again. It is not just to my liking and I will stick to beer in the future.

I keep my full judgment unltil I taste it fullly carbonnated.

I don't think this stuff is very good for the first 6-8 months... don't understand why everyone tries to rush this stuff.

I don't think this stuff is very good for the first 6-8 months... don't understand why everyone tries to rush this stuff.

I found around the 5 month mark (including aging in a keg) is pretty good for me. I've made around 30 gallons of this over the last few years.
I let it sit in primary for 2-3 months usually.

I love this stuff, and I always keep a batch in rotation. I always primary it for a couple months, then secondary for at least six-8 more months.

It is odd. Maybe my sanitation isn't perfect or there is something wrong with my technique, but I have carefully saved bottles from each batch to try after long term bottle aging, and after a year or so, I find distinct off flavors, while it is crisp and delicious after 2 months in primary and a couple of weeks of bottle conditioning. Maintains this good flavor for at least six months, but it is usually gone long before that except for the few bottles I save.

Recently I found 2 750 mL wine bottles that I filled with my FIRST EVER batch of Apfelwein almost 3 years ago when I bottled half still and half carbed. Kind of scared to try it...

If you use regular cane sugar how much do you use. Also what is the main difference between corn sugar and cane sugars? Thanks Mike

A lot of people use 2 pounds of whatever sugar.

The main difference between corn sugar and cane sugar is that corn sugar is a monosaccharide - dextrose - and cane sugar is a disaccharide - a glucose bonded to a fructose. It means that the yeast have to work just a little bit harder to eat it.

Got 1 3/4 pounds of brown and a heaped cup table sugar mixed with 4 1/2 gal of Motts. 1060 sg tossed a pack of 1118 on top of it and put the lock on top. Going to wait about three or four days and then top it up. Mike

A lot of people use 2 pounds of whatever sugar.

The main difference between corn sugar and cane sugar is that corn sugar is a monosaccharide - dextrose - and cane sugar is a disaccharide - a glucose bonded to a fructose. It means that the yeast have to work just a little bit harder to eat it.

Does cane make it taste different.???

Double-R said:
Does cane make it taste different.???

Dunno, i'm on my first batch.

Some people attribute hot alcohol or green apple flavors to large amounts of cane sugar in belgian beers but both of those diminish with age.

DSmith said:
I have this yeast nutrient (and the wyeast brewing yeast nutrient)

http://www.midwestsupplies.com/yeast-nutrient.html

Can anyone comment on which one to use with the Montrachet yeast and the quantity/timing to add it? Is yeast nutrient boiled in a small amount of water when added?

I added a teaspoon or so dry to the same jug i was shaking brown sugar w/ juice in

oh, should have been more clear - i used the wyeast stuff, because that's what i have

Thanks. Went with the 1 tsp/gal wine yeast nutrient per the packaging and sparse information on this forum about this specific question. The yeast nutrient and aeration by wine degasser paddles/drill before pitching yeast were the only changes made to the original posted recipe.

red star premier cuvee is one option - i used it, several others have. I think there have been other options mentioned in the thread.

I used the Montrachet for my full batch, but before that I made a test batch and used the Pasteur Champagne yeast. Worked the same, as far as I could tell.

I want to make this recipe but NB is out of Montrachet yeast, whats a good replacement?

I like Lalvin EC-1118 and have used it almost exclusively (though I have done 3 or 4 batches with Montrachet as well).

The current batch is with Lalvin RC-212 based on the results from another poster in this thread. Another month or so before I can evaluate it.

I want to make this recipe but NB is out of Montrachet yeast, whats a good replacement?

I've been very happy with Lalvin's 1122....ferments steadily, no issues with "sticking", blowoff, or "rhino farts". Very bright results - no finings needed and flocculates to a very compact sediment (you can pretty much pour out your carboy and most of the sediment will simply stay put). SWMBO likes the crispness it gives to the flavor. We both appreciate that the ferment finishes with a product that (once clear) is drinkable immediately with a distinct apple-wine flavor and aroma - many of the other yeast options scrub out all of the apple flavor/aroma and need several months of conditioning before it comes back - the 1122 is noticable immediately and builds over time. Pleasingly tart to start with, this fades after a month or so of bottle conditioning.

Has anyone had any luck using a belgian beer yeast to impart some flavor? One of the Crispin Cider products has a great Belgian flavor to it that I would love to create. I'd expect to have to finish with a neutral yeast like Montrachet, and might have some issues with blow-off?

My first batch hit 3 weeks today, and is starting to clear nicely. I took a gravity reading, and it's at 1.002. It's also got some carbonation to it - after I took the reading my hydrometer started floating up with the bubbles that were coming up on it. Sample tasted great and now I kinda know what to expect when it's done. I'm going to give it a while longer to finish clearing up.

Just started 2 six gallon carboys of Apfelwein. I used 2 packets of Montrachet per carboy (the stuff is dirt cheap - saw no reason to skimp). I ended up using Motts brand juice (no preservatives only Ascorbic Acid added). We shall see in a few months what the results are! It is clouded and bubbling like crazy at the 22 hour mark.

I'll toss up yet another "I'm so excited I just started my first batch of the original recipe" post...

Why am I looking forward to my closet reeking of rhino farts?

This isn't a recipe. This isn't a thread. This is a legend.

Thanks for all the info Ed (and the rest of yous).

bigbeergeek said:
I'll toss up yet another "I'm so excited I just started my first batch of the original recipe" post...

Why am I looking forward to my closet reeking of rhino farts?

This isn't a recipe. This isn't a thread. This is a legend.

Thanks for all the info Ed (and the rest of yous).

Pro tip: a wet paper towel over the airlock for the first few days really helps with the smell.

Pro tip: a wet paper towel over the airlock for the first few days really helps with the smell.
+1 to this.

I thought some yeast nutrient would work, as others had posted that, but found that even with yeast nutrient my wife was still experiencing the rhino farts (I don't necessarily mind them), so on went a wet towel.

jholen said:
+1 to this.

I thought some yeast nutrient would work, as others had posted that, but found that even with yeast nutrient my wife was still experiencing the rhino farts (I don't necessarily mind them), so on went a wet towel.

Adding yeast nutrient isn't going to do anything if your wife is the one experiencing the rhino farts. I would immediately kick that disgusting woman out of my bed.

Seriously though... what strain of yeast did you use? What nutrient did you use, and how much? What temp did you ferment at, and if you controlled it in any way, how? Information on what didn't work is just as helpful (if not EVEN MORE SO) as information on what did. Let's see if we can find more specific parameters for preventing rhino farts.

Adding yeast nutrient isn't going to do anything if your wife is the one experiencing the rhino farts. I would immediately kick that disgusting woman out of my bed.

Seriously though... what strain of yeast did you use? What nutrient did you use, and how much? What temp did you ferment at, and if you controlled it in any way, how? Information on what didn't work is just as helpful (if not EVEN MORE SO) as information on what did. Let's see if we can find more specific parameters for preventing rhino farts.
:p

Red Star Montrachet yeast, 1/2 tsp Wyeast Nutrient (per recommendations on the bottle).

Fermented at 68 in my basement. I don't have large temp swings in my basement so no temp control needed.

Rhino farts were definitely less significant compared to my first batch without the wyeast nutrient - I'd say they were dissipated after 2 days, compared to about a week on my first batch. So after thinking about it, yeah it did help, but didn't eliminate it.

Juice was tree top from Costco fyi

Which Wyeast nutrient? They actually make two such products... it should say whether it's for beer or wine near the cap.

Hi guys,

I did a bunch of searches but am still uncertain. I just bottled my wine. I did a small batch, 5 liters. In 2 of the bottles I added carb drops. Here is the possible issue. I filled them pretty much to the very top, so pretty much zero headspace. Do I need to quickly remove some of the wine or will zero head space be okay for carbonating?

Cheers

Back