NW Ale - First time

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gilbey

Reaction score
I have an IPA (22# pale malt, 1# 80L crystal, 1# 40L crystal, 1# carapils, generous amount of magnum and chinook hops - OG about 1.64) fermenting on NW Ale. I did a 10 gallon batch and put half on American Ale Blend and the other on the NW Ale. I brewed 10 days ago. At 7 days I racked to secondary. The Amer Ale is clear in secondary. But the NW still has krausen on top and is still very cloudy.

SG when racked;

Amer Ale; 1.012
NW Alw; 1.016

Is this normal for NW Ale????? It's my first time using it.

Thanks.

Alan

If it looks fine, smells fine, and hits a respectable terminal gravity then life is good. I just did something very similar to what you did, 10 gallon IPA at 1.057 OG. I did a starter and hit it with O2. The difference is I mixed the NW with 1056 instead of doing them in seperate carboys like you did. After 2 weeks it was still bubbling around every 10 second which 1056 alone rips through everything I have ever thrown at it in under a week. I don't bother with secondaries so I left it on the yeast for another week and kegged last weekend at 1.011. Give it time, you'll be fine unless you promised your buddy to make a wedding batch for this weekend :).

Back