Help: Yeast Culture From Bell's Oberon not working?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aeonderdonk

Reaction score
I'm not sure if I did this right or if it's working. Here's what I've done:

1) Sanitize half gallon glass growler and rinse
2) Add cooled wort made from boiling one pint water with 2/3 cup DME
2) Refrigerate Beer
3) Sanitize neck of bottle and cap
4) Pop Cap
5) Sanitize opening by swabbing with papertowel soaked with sanitizer
6) Pour beer into glass, saving last inch or so with sediment
7) Swirl beer around to get sediment off bottom
8) Pour into grolwer
9) Repeat for 6 pack
10) Cover with plastic wrap and loosely secure with rubber band.
11) Store in pantry at ~72*

I did all this last night and woke up this morning to see a bunch of brownish trub at the bottom, can't tell if there is a yeast layer or not. Should I be seeing any krausen? How long should it take to know whether it's working and how will I know?

Any advice?

if you didn't put any fresh wort in the growler it wont do nothing. Make up some starter and add the sediment and see what happens.

I would put it back into the fridge, chill for a day or two, and then decant off any beer, and pitch into a small starter. That will tell you if you have any viable yeast. After it's done fermenting, put it back into the fridge for storage.

I did put wort in the growler. Boiled 1 pint with 1/4 cup DME. Cooled it and added sediment to it. I can't tell whether any fermentation is happening, all sitting at the bottom. I'm not sure if it's dead or already fermented out. There were about 12 hours between the time that I finished adding beer dregs and checked it.

I did basically the same thing with a sixer of Two Hearted about a month ago. It was pretty tough to see any activity (you're starting with a really small amount of yeast). I stepped it up several times (pint/quart/2q) and ended up with a decent amount of yeast.

The resulting batch of Two Hearted clone is dry-hopping in the keg as I write this, and tastes awesome.

Step your starter up a couple times, at about ~24 hours apart. You should see some yeast growth.

Check the specific gravity and see if it's less than where it started. If it's substantially below where it started (or where it probably started, if you didn't measure), then it fermented.

is the wort cloudy or does it look like an amber beer ? If its a cloudy brown the yeast is working . I would just keep shaking it every few hours and see how it reacts

when you shake it it should look like this. The head is the CO2 leaving solution

starter7.JPG

shook it up periodically last night and this morning all i see are some tiny bubbles on the top, doesnt look like any yeast is reproducing. Anyone know where I went wrong?

A 1/4 cup of DME won't really do much for yeast propagation. When I've made starters I use at LEAST a cup, usually more. I'm sure it's fermented out already, you'll need to keep adding wort to get more yeast cells.

Also, there's very little activity with starters as it is.

Added a second pint of wort and now it's got a nice krausen, going to add another pint today and pitch the slurry tomorrow night.

I cultured Oberon yeast about a 6 weeks ago. I had to step it up a few times to get the yeast going. It finally did. I now have 2 cases of an Oberon clone waiting to be drunk. A couple more weeks and I will give one a try.

I ended up stepping it up and pitching about 30 hours later with a nice thick krausen on top after siphoning about half the liquid out of the middle to avoid getting any off flavors.

Final pitching volume was about a pint and my oberon clone has been bubbling nicely for the last 4.5 days

For those of you that cultured yeast from oberon, how low of a final gravity did the yeast give you? I have my Oberon yeast starter going crazy for sunday funday.

Thanks

I haven't actually brewed an Oberon clone..... yet. I don't know what the attenuation % is going to be, but I know that whatever it is, that's what it will be :)

From the activity I was getting out of my starter on the stirplate - my guess would be that it's very aggressive & floculates well. I'd guess high 70's or even 80 some %

Search yielded this gem - https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/safale-us-05-attenuation-52146/#post673016

Back