Carbonation drops in 15.2oz Grolsch bottles?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dlprice45

Reaction score
So, on my 6th batch of beer (3rd partial mash) I made my first major ******* homebrew mistake: I forgot to add the priming sugar to my bottling bucket. Doh (I am going to kegs as soon as I can afford it)! But, fortunately I bottled the whole batch in recycled Grolsch swing-top bottles so I can go back and easily drop in some Coopers carbonation drops and reseal.

I have never used carbonation drops before and they are designed for 12 oz bottles. Grolsch are 15.2 oz, a 3-oz. difference. Would one drop be enough for each bottle, or should I try my best to divide the Coopers tabs into quarters and then put 1 and one-quarter tab into each bottle? I know this sounds like a pain in the ass, but what am I gonna do.

Anyone know generally what volume of carbonation the drops provide? If for instance, they carb to a relatively high volume per 12 oz bottle, maybe they will just be a little on the low side in a 15.2 oz bottle, but still sufficient?

Thanks for any advice.

The Cooper's carb drops are better. Those tablets can take several to get decent carb. One Cooper's carb drop is good for 12-16oz. 22oz to 25 oz would take two carb drops.

I've used the Brewers Best ones and love them. You can get the exact amount of carb you want by adding a certain amount. Whereas the coopers drops its the same amount of carb no matter what you're doing. I like different styles to have different amounts of carbonation.

For those grolsh bottles,one carb drop would be fine for the volume. But for accurate carbing to style,you can't beat bulk priming with a priming calculator.

Yeah normally I bulk prime just had a brain fart this time. Glad I'm using these swing tops though, will make it much easier to fix my mistake. If it's not carbed exactly to style that's ok by me.

I used 1 and 2 Coopers carb drops per 1 Grolsch bottle. 1 drop gives nice carbonation sufficient for most beer styles. 2 drops make really feezy and highly carbonated beer which may be a good or bad thing depending on what you brewing. 2 drops would be perfect for Hefewizens or Belgians.

Thanks paraordnance, that is reassuring to know. This is an American Wheat beer so I think the level of carbonation you mention will be just fine.

Back