IPA with lots of hop gunk!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GweedoeBrew

Reaction score
South of Boston, By way of West Virginia!!
So I kegged an IPA awhile back... and carbed it... I went to pour a pint and it was filled with hop gunk that must of settled out in the keg....

So I dumped it...ok I drank it...

Then I went to pout a 2nd pint... it came out uber slow... and also had lots of hop gunk in it...

So I check the popit and the dip tube... clean it out a little... put it all back together... and still on the 3rd pint... same issue...

What would you do???

That's rough. I suggest trying to filter out as much of the residue as you can next time. You could pick up some cheese cloth bags from your HBS steep the hops in that way, effectively removing most of the clumps.

I had the same issue with a hefeweizen... I just lived with it until it was gone. Looking back, if I really wanted it clear I would let it sit very still for a week and poor a pint at high pressure, and maybe that would suck up most of the hop gunk that would settle to the bottom perhaps. Good luck.

You could always purge the keg using the relief valve and then presurize it again but connect the gas line to the liquid out post. That way when the gas goes in, it will clear the post, poppet, and dip tube. If you get more clogs after that, you should probably rack to another keg and use some kind of filter over the racking cane.

I think if you keep repeating your procedure you'll eventually pull up all the hop gunk. Maybe shake the keg in between to loosen up the gunk.

keep drinking. That generally solves ALL problems.

After a gallon or so it will all be gone. If not then who cares, your drunk.

Same thing happened to me not too long ago; massive amounts of hop junk after I racked into the keg.

Pours were slow to the point of it's not worth it. I took apart the posts, and poppet valve which had most of hop gunk..cleaned it, still clogged up.

I forced Co2 down the OUT post to try to loosen some of the gunk up, but still didn't work out that well.

Only thing that did work for me was re-racking the beer to another bucket, cleaning the keg out, then racking the beer back into the keg, but this time being very careful not to get alot of the hop junk.

Worked out fine!

Back