I have figured out the secret code! California = Avocado!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Donasay

Reaction score
The local pub which I will admit has some great food has been on a "California" kick this weekend in terms of their specials. They have the "California Pizza" the "California Salad," "California Spring Rolls" and the "California Style Veggie Burrito". I looked at the ingredient lists of all of these "California" foods and found that they all shared one common ingredient Avocado!

Then I thought back to the last time I went to California Pizza Kitchen and came to the shocking realization that they too put Avocado in almost everything. I have nothing against avocados, and I do like them, but I know some people hate the fruit, and that this was an important discovery to share.

California = Avocado!

By the way I am planning a trip out to Avocado this fall to see them making wine up in Nappa Valley, anyone know of good brew pubs in that area of Avacado that I can stop into.

Avocados are big here, and we produce a lot of them. But I don't know if the restaurants here even use them that much.

By the way I am planning a trip out to Avocado this fall to see them making wine up in Nappa Valley, anyone know of good brew pubs in that area of Avacado that I can stop into.

There are lots of great breweries in the Napa Valley area, as well as the Sonoma Valley area which is just "next door". I don't know any specifically in Napa, although I'm sure there are some good pubs around. And if you're willing to drive a couple hours, you'll find the scenery and the brew to be excellent.

Russian River Brewing - Santa Rosa
Lagunitas - Petaluma
Dempsey's - Petaluma
Silverado Brewing Co. - St. Helena

Farther up North:
Anderson Valley Brewing - Boonville (Out of the way, but very good)
North Coast Brewing - Ft. Bragg (again, far out of the way but very good belgians)
Ukiah Brewing Co. - Ukiah
Mendocino Brewing Co. - Hopland

Don't forget the ubiquitous "California Roll" at sushi joints (Avacado and K-rab)

I prefer Sonoma to Napa. It's been about 5 years since I've been, but Sonoma was a bit less touristy and commercialized. It also has some of my favorite wineries (Davis Bynum and Rabbit Ridge). I also recommend a trip out to the Korbel winery in Guernville. Again, a beautiful drive, and the tasting bar serves all good sparkling wine (not the crap that they sell in the stores, go figure) If you are so inclined, they also have a scotch tasting bar.

+1 on the drive up to North Coast Brewing. Go for lunch, the food and the drive is AWSOME! The Old #38 stout is worth the trip alone.

There are lots of great breweries in the Napa Valley area, as well as the Sonoma Valley area which is just "next door". I don't know any specifically in Napa, although I'm sure there are some good pubs around. And if you're willing to drive a couple hours, you'll find the scenery and the brew to be excellent.

Russian River Brewing - Santa Rosa
Lagunitas - Petaluma
Dempsey's - Petaluma
Silverado Brewing Co. - St. Helena

Farther up North:
Anderson Valley Brewing - Boonville (Out of the way, but very good)
North Coast Brewing - Ft. Bragg (again, far out of the way but very good belgians)
Ukiah Brewing Co. - Ukiah
Mendocino Brewing Co. - Hopland

+1 to all those. I will also add a couple great places.

Bear Republic - Healdsburg

Third Street Aleworks - Santa Rosa (down the street from Russian River)
Moylan's - Novato

When I lived in SoCal, my GF & I used to go to her grandfather's house & help shovel the avocados into trash cans. Some years, a front loader & a dumpster would have been a good idea.

Funny thing...I never see avocado listed in the ingredient deck for a california common ale. Hmmmmmm...

Or even worse, they look fine and when you go to cut it open, they're all brown and gross inside!

If you very gently press the outside peel if it gives anywhere it is probably rotting. It shouldn't be hard, but just a little resilient.

Back