Mash question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vera

Reaction score
I'm getting ready to brew an American Wheat. The grain bill is 11 lbs in addition to 1/2 lb rice hulls.
I'm trying to use Beer Smith more. I want to do a 115 degree rest, a 152 degree rest and mash out at 168. Beer smith is telling me to dough in at what would be less than 1 qt per pound for the 115 degree rest. Will this even work?

Yes, it'll work.

If you're doing a protein rest, you may want to up the temp slightly. I thought protein rests occurred between 122 and 135 or so, but could be wrong. 115 is approaching Acid rest temps.

SouthBay said:
Yes, it'll work.

If you're doing a protein rest, you may want to up the temp slightly. I thought protein rests occurred between 122 and 135 or so, but could be wrong. 115 is approaching Acid rest temps.

Thanks for the response.
And yes, I'm doing an acid rest. Suggested by Strong in Brewing Better Beer. Thought I'd try it.

How are u raising temps between the steps?

I you are adding boiling water to do so, it may have u start off at a low water to grist ratio so that you end up at 1.2 to 1.5 for your later steps.

Latest posts

Back