Off to Shanghai

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ashz

Reaction score
Any good micro breweries over there? Just kidding. Two weeks in the heat of shanghai. Under the gun, no host to help with translating. Should be exciting. SNAFU. I love my job. :)

I just got back from there, and translation may not be a big problem. Many of them speak English, some aren't great, but with a little patience you can communicate. Didn't find any great beers, but got along fine with their lagers. Tsingtao was pretty good along with Snow. The Budweiser tasted different, and the cans took me back a few years, they still have the old pull tabs. I brought a few of them back for decoration in the bar. Knee How!

Well I made it safe and sound. Staying in Pudong, diamond court. All the swine flu precautions get a bit old, but I guess better safe than sorry. It would truly suck if they let it get into the rural population.

So far it was hot as hell when I landed, and we have had some thunderboomers this evening. Off to work first thing in the am. No rest for the wicked.

Ps. Drinking my first Tsing Tao....ehhh...not bad. But not great. The Johny walker was good though.

If anyone who has been here has any must see sights let me know I will have some free time to do some sight seeing in the next two weeks.

I've been there several times but have not had the opportunity to do much sight seeing. The Jade Palace is very cool. Of course, you should cruise around the Bund.

If you're into electronics and gadgety, there is a massive electronics market next to the Intercontinental in Pudong. The prices will absolutley blow your mind. Also, check out the "fake market," which is in one of the Pudong subway stations. I picked up a bitchin Gortex NorthFace jacket there for $40.

One of the coolest things to see in Shanghai is the city itself at night. Check out the Peace Bar (?) at one of the hotels on the Bund. Incredible view of the city and river. Just rolling around on the elevated roadways is pretty awesome. The architecture in that city is amazing.

Be sure to take the MagLev back to the airport. There is a station in Pudong.

And, whatever happens, don't let them take you to Julu Lu Rd!!! (evil grin here)

EDIT: I as gonna add a pic but it looks like I need to re-up my membership.

So here I am on my own in Shanghai. Miserable hot days working in a pharmaceutical lab with no AC, feeling like I have been kidnapped. Day three and I am still not loving life at all. SWMBO is pregnant and emotional back in the states. Skype connection is ok at times but frustrates me most times.

I either stay up late, or wake up early to talk to the people back home to help with issues here. Last night I went to bed at almost 3am, was up at 7am to head back to the lab. Today I laid down the law. Told the customers there wasn't anything I could do for their problem. Long story, suffice it to say it's not our equipment. They weren't happy. I left.

Decided to wander shanghai on my lonesome. Taxi driver didn't understand a damn thing I tried to explain in horrible, Americanized Chinese. The day ended well. I replaced my Ultimate ears that got broke on the flight over, I did some exploration. And look what I found. Normally I don't frequent this place in the states but in this place I couldn't resist.

DSCN0036.JPG

DSCN00391.JPG

Key phrases here ( I spent nearly a year between Shanghai and Taipei):

Zu Ni Shing Foo ( This is a toast, "To your health" ) .
Pie dooy! ( Let's party).
and most importantly :

Pee joe ( Beer)
and for your friend.. .
Mei Lei ( May Lay ) = beautiful.

Back