Boilover on new patio

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JPicasso

Hackbrewer extraordinaire
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hey all,

Not sure exactly what forum to post on, but here goes:

We are installing anew patio this summer using unilock paver stones.
Do I need to be concerned with boilovers on this material? I'd hate to ruin a spot on my new patio. Anyone have experience?

Thanks

Maybe I'm just naive, but if the patio is exposed to the elements anyway, a little wort won't hurt it any. You could always keep a garden hose handy to spray it down in case of an accident.

I take a 2x4 sheet of plywood and lay down beneath the brew kettle set up. boil overs fall onto that which catches it all. Usually my boil overs are very small. Works fine that way not so many worries about staining the deck.

I've had a boil over or two on my patio. Rinse with a hose when it happens. You'll never know it happened. It only burns onto hot surfaces like the burner. Rinses right off of everything else.

If you clean it off quick there should be no stains, if you let it sit it can be absorbed and stain the paver.

Awesome, all good information. I know when I've done turkeys, the oil can stain pretty good. Even with wort being water based, wasn't sure if there would be any issues. Most spills are small, and I always have the hose handy.
Thanks

Back