Questions...my first high-gravity brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MTate37

Reaction score
So last Friday I brewed NB's 115th Dream Imperial IPA. I pitched a 2 liter starter made with two packs of Wyeast 1056 into 5.5G of 1.089 wort. Bubbling has slowed drastically in the past couple of days, so I took a gravity reading last night out of curiosity (I know...I should be more patient) and it is already down to 1.010, so I guess there are no worries of a 'stuck' fermentation.

I'm heading out of town next Wednesday and will be gone until the 20th. Assuming I get some consistent gravity readings before I leave should I rack this to secondary, or am I going to be okay leaving it until I get back? Seems like I've read somewhere that high-gravity brew sitting on yeast for a long time can lead to off flavors. This recipe does not call for a dryhop.

Should I give this any extended time in primary/secondary or should I let it stay in bottles for a while?

When I do bottle, should I add some yeast?

Thanks!

If you are heading out of town NEXT Wednesday, just bottle it the night before.

Was the FG supposed to be .010? If so then it is done fermenting and a week to condition is fine.
Or like you said, rack to a secondary then just bottle when you get back.

Also, no need to add extra yeast when you bottle.
Since it is a high gravity beer allow it to bottle condition for a good 3-4 weeks minimum.

I would leave it until you get back. That would give plenty of time for the yeast to clean up the beer. I did a RIS at about the same OG and I left it on the yeast for over a month. It turned out fine.

I wouldn't rush it.

Leave it. Off flavors from extended aging don't develop for months. I just did an eight week primary for a Belgian golden strong.

Man, if it was me, I'd try to dry hop that ASAP. Maybe even bottle it right before you leave. It'll be carbed by the time you get back and have the freshest hop flavor and aroma. However, letting it sit is just fine too.

If you are heading out of town NEXT Wednesday, just bottle it the night before.

Was the FG supposed to be .010? If so then it is done fermenting and a week to condition is fine.
Or like you said, rack to a secondary then just bottle when you get back.

Also, no need to add extra yeast when you bottle.
Since it is a high gravity beer allow it to bottle condition for a good 3-4 weeks minimum.

this is what i would do. like he said its going to take at least 4 weeks to carb up

Back