What are you drinking now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What am I drinking? I'm drinking in the sweet sweet taste of victory, after serving my ex wife a fat one at court, retaining full custody of my kids, and having her lawyers report of findings rejected as evidence by the judge, all while representing myself. And washing it down with a NB Belgo.

Cheers brother!, I can tell you from experience raising kids alone will be hell alot of days but its better than worrying about em.
Next friday will be my 24th birthday and 2 weeks after that will mark 3 years that I got full custody of my kids and whipped the exes rear end in the court room.
Chocking down magic hat brewers overyly hopped stout [I need the bottles, but yuck]

Love this beer! I was fortunate to get sone before it was released to the public and thought it was great.

huntingohio said:
Cheers brother!, I can tell you from experience raising kids alone will be hell alot of days but its better than worrying about em.
Next friday will be my 24th birthday and 2 weeks after that will mark 3 years that I got full custody of my kids and whipped the exes rear end in the court room.
Chocking down magic hat brewers overyly hopped stout

:off: Wow, hats off to you man. I found myself a single father to a 14 month old baby at the age of 22, and had plenty of my problems of my own, but was able to straighten most of them out when that was dropped on me. I later reconciled with the ex and we has two more, then a little over 3 years ago I had a repeat but with a 2, 5, and 8 year old. It was hard but I run a tight ship and we have held it together, and recently I found myself a real woman and now we're doing just fine. In my many appearances in court I've seen a lot of fathers stepping up to the plate, and it's good to see. Any sacrifices made are nothing to know that my boys are sleeping in a warm bed in a safe place each night. :off:

ForumRunner_20121104_100718.jpg

:)

bottlebomber said:
:off: Wow, hats off to you man. I found myself a single father to a 14 month old baby at the age of 22, and had plenty of my problems of my own, but was able to straighten most of them out when that was dropped on me. I later reconciled with the ex and we has two more, then a little over 3 years ago I had a repeat but with a 2, 5, and 8 year old. It was hard but I run a tight ship and we have held it together, and recently I found myself a real woman and now we're doing just fine. In my many appearances in court I've seen a lot of fathers stepping up to the plate, and it's good to see. Any sacrifices made are nothing to know that my boys are sleeping in a warm bed in a safe place each night. :off:

Sorry to keep the :off: going, but it's good to see this stuff here especially because it looks like I'm headed down this road myself. I'm taking a personal break from brewing because she's the type that would try to use that against me in court.

OClairBrew said:
Sorry to keep the :off: going, but it's good to see this stuff here especially because it looks like I'm headed down this road myself. I'm taking a personal break from brewing because she's the type that would try to use that against me in court.

That's sad to hear :( it is obviously best for everyone if the relationship can be reconciled. If it can't, it is important to be able to recognize that and perform damage control. The main pieces of advice I can offer is first and foremost get a planner and write down everything of importance that happens, time and date. It helps you to externalize and better understand what is taking place, and also you can use it in court if need be. Men are usually disorganized by nature in this regard, so if you have chronicled the things that have happened it will carry MUCH more weight with a judge. Also it is easy to forget things that have happened in emotional times.

Your relationship with the judge will be a semi long term one as well, so it is important that you make a good impression from the outset. Never give in to the temptation to lower yourself to the level of a hurtful and vindictive person.

And be careful. I've seen more than one fellow find himself in jail for being falsely accused for domestic violence, and I am one myself. It is a powerful trump card that women are given, it works, and is used frequently. If you even mildly suspect that things may be headed in this direction you need to protect yourself and do not be around your parter or ex until this is fixed one way or another.

Having said that, I don't think you should stop brewing. If you have DUI's or alcohol related arrests I can see why you'd be concerned, but if not there is nothing derogatory about making beer. It is a popular and well known hobby, and you need to be able to have an escape from the emotional stress of what you're going through. No judge will take the fact that you are homebrewing as an indication that you are an abusive alcoholic. I'm sorry that you're having to go through this.

Lemonade Four Loko. Bought it for my SIL, but she didn't want it. It's horrible, but I don't want my money to go to waste. Will return to drinking home brew upon finishing it.

Since noon I've had Great Divide rumble, then SN imperial pilsner, and currently having smuttynose Porter with some smoked pork loin that just came off the smoker

nukebrewer said:
Lemonade Four Loko. Bought it for my SIL, but she didn't want it. It's horrible, but I don't want my money to go to waste. Will return to drinking home brew upon finishing it.

Brutal. I bought a watermelon one once, and it was so bad I actually flung it to get it as far away as possible.

How is the Challenger? What would you compare it to?

Like a more aggressive EKG, floral, a little earthy, probably more earthy than EKG, little more spicy too. It's good for bittering and late adds. Those two are my favorites for British beers, I had 6 ozs of each left over from last year and a few ozs of whole EKG, so.... IPA! I was thinking of using the other 3 ozs of challenger for a pale ale. I could do all challenger late and let ya know.

That would be cool. Sounds like my description of Fuggle. Like EKG on steroids. And then Willamette is like Fuggle on roids sorta.

bottlebomber said:
Brutal. I bought a watermelon one once, and it was so bad I actually flung it to get it as far away as possible.

I have returned to drinking home brew. I'm four pumpkin beers deep and about ready to start in on the next sixer I brought in from the basement.

Pretty much anything and everything. Been cleaning the garage and beer room so I've been opening bottles that have sat on shelves too long, bottles that were brought to me from around the country and been neglected. I'm
carbonating a keg for a friend so I've had a couple of glasses from it, and I had to turn the gas off to my kegerator and move it last week so I'm "testing" each tap(6 of them) to make sure the sediment has settled and the beer is still carbonated. I love Sunday's but Mondays always suck for some reason.

That would be cool. Sounds like my description of Fuggle. Like EKG on steroids. And then Willamette is like Fuggle on roids sorta.

Yeah, fuggle falls right in there too. I did an IPA with challenger, fuggle and EKG earlier this year that turned out really well. I have a fuggle willamette pale ale in bottles right now, still needs another week or two.

Right now I am enjoying a pint of my first batch of my X-Mas this year. Made 3 different batches, this one clocked in at 8.1%, batch two came in at 8.5% and batch 3 came in at a whopping 11.5%. All awesome. Pretty pumped about it and can't wait to share with family and friends. :mug:

Dogfishheads midas touch

So far its so so. Not a bad beer but just feel short of expectation.
Great color [no so much saffron as I thought or hoped but very golden. Kept a good head despite being at 40f when poured.
On the nose it has a kind of winey, I suppose thats from the muscat grapes.

On the tounge the first thing I get is a young wine kind of burn with a nice hop flavor backing it. It has an ale like body, kinda standard nothing to write home about.
I think this may be one where I squirrel away a bottle for a month or so. I was hoping for a more grape and honey feel to it. maybe aging it for awhile will let that happen.
Gets a B for today, maybe an A later if some of the sweetness an floaral tastes from the honey come back

Just finished the last 750ml bottle of Cream of Three Crops... time to make the cream ale... again. Gotta get my red ale and a ten gallon batch of pumpkin stout finished and bottled up. Cream of Three Crops next in line.

Had several great beers yesterday, but no chance to take pics. Highlights include Zombie Dust, Furious, Double DBA, and a Cynicale.

I have finally settled down for the day, and I'm kicking back with one of these excellent Wexford Cream Ales from a nitro can.

image-2231835976.jpg

weirdboy said:
Had several great beers yesterday, but no chance to take pics. Highlights include Zombie Dust, Furious, Double DBA, and a Cynicale.

I have finally settled down for the day, and I'm kicking back with one of these excellent Wexford Cream Ales from a nitro can.

What did you think of DDBA?

What did you think of DDBA?

I actually had it on tap a few months ago, so this was a chance to revisit the beer for me. I think it's delicious. Definitely a sipper. If you have a bottle of it, I recommend getting a couple of friends together to help you get through it. I mean, obviously you CAN drink it all yourself, but for me it finishes a bit too sweet to enjoy more than maybe 8-10oz at a time. I guess you might compare it with an English barleywine in that it has many of the same characteristics. It is more heavily hopped I think than, say, a JW Lee Harvest Ale, and although it is a bit boozy, it is *extremely* smooth; almost creamy. It would be quite interesting to try that beer on nitro sometime...

weirdboy said:
I actually had it on tap a few months ago, so this was a chance to revisit the beer for me. I think it's delicious. Definitely a sipper. If you have a bottle of it, I recommend getting a couple of friends together to help you get through it. I mean, obviously you CAN drink it all yourself, but for me it finishes a bit too sweet to enjoy more than maybe 8-10oz at a time. I guess you might compare it with an English barleywine in that it has many of the same characteristics. It is more heavily hopped I think than, say, a JW Lee Harvest Ale, and although it is a bit boozy, it is *extremely* smooth; almost creamy. It would be quite interesting to try that beer on nitro sometime...

Where did you have it on draft? Was it a tap takeover? Did you get your XVI yet?

Since my schedule is messed up (I work on call) I had a Marshall Pub Ale, a Guiness on nitro, and a HB'ed Hefeweizen.
The pub ale is ok, but I'm not a big fan of the hops in it (glacier). I guess I'm biased toward the more citrusy hops, like cascade. Next up is another Guiness on nitro, while I browse through NB's website for more ingredients.

Back