Favorite Lager recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elproducto

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I've got a room in my house that without heat is about 5 degrees Celsius, but has a baseboard heater in it, so I can have it as warm as I like.

Would like to try my first lager... what is everyone's favorite recipe?

Was thinking of Brewing Classic Styles Bo Pils.. as I love a crisp, hoppy pilsner.

My favorite commercial lager is definitely Great Lakes Eliot Ness, and my favorite homebrew lager is my pseudo clone.

Recipe doesn't matter as much as process and ingredients. I'll be so boldly immodest to say that the SMaSH Pilsner I made October 21 is as good as any craft lager. It's shockingly similar to Victory Prima, but fresher than I can find that beer and with better foam. My presumption is that you could sub in any nobleish hop or any high-quality base malt and get just as good a product in the glass as long as the process is just as flawless.

10lb Briess Undermod Pils
RO water plus 3gm CaCl2
Double decoction 53-64-75ºC, pH ~5.65, single batch sparge
1.5oz leaf Spalt Select @90 & @10
1/2 Whirlfloc tablet, 2gm Wyeast nutrient
1pkg 2308 stepped from 1L to 4L, pitch 8ºC then hold to 10ºC
Ferment 3 weeks, rack, and lager for 4 weeks

Good read. I'm doing something very close to that now for my single decoctions. The only difference is I skip the protein rest.

I've done a double only once (on a no-boil berliner), and basically did this then pulled a second decoction.

Back