Beer Software for Macs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rene

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm wondering what your favorite software for storing and formulationg beer recipes are. I know that PC users like "ProMash"; I would like to find a good app for a macintosh running OS X.

thanks,

rene

bobbyc said:
Try BeerAlchemy. It's a pretty new product, but I've been enjoying it so far - looks like it will get even better as updates are made.

http://www.kentplacesoftware.com/products/BeerAlchemy.html
I'm testing the beta for the next release of BeerAlchemy. I'm not sure when the designer plans to release it, but some of the new features are pretty flippin' cool. More calculators (including volumes of CO2 based on style of beer - my personal favorite), more choices for times of hop and extract additions to the boil, and a pretty slick shopping section that will post out a recipe's ingredients list in a printable page and will even let you send it as an email order to your favorite HBS. He's also working on code that will import/convert recipes from some of the big PC programs. He uses the program for his own AG brewing, so he has an interest in adding newer, better features as fast as he can come up with them.

If you prefer to use programs that run on your Mac natively, take a serious look at this one. I sure like it. :D

Side note: it only runs on Tiger because he used features that are only available in that version of OS X.

Two thumbs WAY UP for BeerAlchemy! You'll love the GUI, and the next version will rock even harder!

Thanks for the great suggestions!

I've downloaded them and am trying them out. I also found this one in case you folks may be interested

Homebrew Formulator
http://brew.reboritull.com/

The Beer Alchemy one looks very nice, but I am still running Panther on my main box. I found that until recently (10.4.4), Tiger was not as stable as I needed it to be and I had problems with sleep. If any of you are computer geeks, drop me a line and I will tell you more.

rene said:
Thanks for the great suggestions!

I've downloaded them and am trying them out. I also found this one in case you folks may be interested

Homebrew Formulator
http://brew.reboritull.com/

The Beer Alchemy one looks very nice, but I am still running Panther on my main box. I found that until recently (10.4.4), Tiger was not as stable as I needed it to be and I had problems with sleep. If any of you are computer geeks, drop me a line and I will tell you more.

I bought BeerAlchemy when I started brewing in March, and I like it a lot. I'm interested to see how it does as me and my friends do more PM and AG. One of my friends uses ProMash, so its interesting to see how they compare head-to-head. Pretty close so far.

DrewsBrews said:
I'm testing the beta for the next release of BeerAlchemy. I'm not sure when the designer plans to release it, but some of the new features are pretty flippin' cool. More calculators (including volumes of CO2 based on style of beer - my personal favorite), more choices for times of hop and extract additions to the boil, and a pretty slick shopping section that will post out a recipe's ingredients list in a printable page and will even let you send it as an email order to your favorite HBS. He's also working on code that will import/convert recipes from some of the big PC programs. He uses the program for his own AG brewing, so he has an interest in adding newer, better features as fast as he can come up with them.

If you prefer to use programs that run on your Mac natively, take a serious look at this one. I sure like it. :D

Side note: it only runs on Tiger because he used features that are only available in that version of OS X.
I really like BeerAlchemy, works great.

Only thing I would like to see in future updates is the ability to export a recipe to a text file so I can copy/paste in here:D

I agree, BeerAlchemy is good software. You can get a trial version from the website so that you can try before you buy. A free program that I'm just starting to try out is Qbrew. Seems pretty good so far, but it's not quite as full featured as BeerAlchemy. It's written for PowerPC, but I run it on an Intel iMac at work just fine:D

Latest posts

Back