Got a march pump, where to best use it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stageseven

Reaction score
My parents got me a March 809-PL-HS for Christmas, and I'm trying to figure out where to best use it in my system. Currently I do all-grain with batch sparges. I'm thinking I could start fly-sparging (my efficiency has been in the low-mid 60s lately) or set up a basic HERMS. I'm not really sure what other options there would be.

My equipment currently is as follows:
10 gallon round cooler with false bottom
7 gallon aluminum turkey fryer pot
5 gallon canning pot
50 foot copper wort chiller
cheap heat stick (one of these http://www.amazon.com/dp/MARSHALLTO/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20)
temperature controller with 2 outlets (currently used for heat stick)

The last few batches I've been using my heat stick to maintain my mash temperature. I tried doing a stepped mash last batch, but it took forever between steps. I'm thinking I could keep the heat stick in a pot and pump the hot (boiling) water through the wort chiller with the temperature controller probe in the mash controlling the pump on/off. Alternately I could just get a sparge arm and start fly sparging. If I got some quick disconnects, could I do both? Any other uses I should be looking at? Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
I have 2 pumps because with 25 gallons I have to move a lot of liquid, some people have no use for one at all. Everybody's system is different so it's up to you how to get the most use out of a pump. one of the best uses though is for recirculation to set the grain bed and clear the wort.

Latest posts

Back