wild yeast in brew area

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darkness

Reaction score
Have had a problem as of late that when I transfer to secondary my beer gets infected with a air born yeast. Has any one else had this happen and if so what helped. I have a spray bottle of Sanitizer and spray everything before I open any fermenter. Clean everything really good cant stop this from happening.
Any thoughts would be great.

STAY CLASSY BREW NATION!!!!!

How about simply NOT racking to secondary as part of a 'normal' process??? A good many of us ONLY rack to another vessel when there's a damned great reason for it. Such as aging on something that works better/best off the yeast. Otherwise, if you're not adding something that needs to be done off the yeast, leave it in primary until it's ready to bottle/keg...

IMO, super simple fix.

Darkness darkness - 'tain aint coming from the air. Wild yeast is not the enemy. Oh, one other thing; Wallstreet is not to be trusted.

Check your process. Check your cleanliness. Sanitizer is not soap and soap is not sanitizer, make sure yer using both.

M

Beer yeast is very competitive, its not wild yeast

You need to WASH your equipment and the area you brew in.
The racking process should not cause any contamination.

CaveBrewing said:
You might have bacteria or something dirty in the racking cane or secondary. I would stop using secondary and get a new cane and secondary if you insist on using one.

I agree. I used to try to keep a barrier with foil or cling wrap to shield from wild yeast. I now just stick my hand in a bucket of Star-San and shake up some foam and use that for a barrier by laying he foam on top of any open spaces during transfer. I personally do not secondary. Why do it? Get yourself one of those flexy thin bottle brushes that you could clean the inside of your racking cane. It is worth the money.

I really thank everyone for there thoughts. I will try reclaiming every thing in the room extra good. I like the secondary alot seams to help clear the beer much better. Been brewing for 3 years and this is the first time this problem has come up. Really piss is you off to dump 35gal of beer.
I would like to find this imposter kick down its door and put my feet on his COUCH!!!

Primary
10gal Honey Cream Ale to be split for 5gal Rassbery and 5gal Peach
5gal Saission
10gal Honey Wheat
10gal Wit

Secondary
5gal HopSlap Imperial IPA
5gal whiskey barrel aged HopSlap
Ceintineal IPA
Bourbon Barrel Aged Black Imperial IPA
Honey Brown

Keg
Black Imperial IPA
HopSlap
Honey Brown
Irish Red

I have mixed thoughts on a secondary. It has helped me with clarity in the past, but, now that I have a conical, I try to only primary. So far, it has been working. There is nothing wrong with a secondary IMHO except for the possibility of extra oxygenation.

As far as the infection, I agree with the majority that it is not wild yeast. Please make sure that you wash everything, THEN sanitize. You can use oxyclean, but PBW is awesome! I would invest in some if you have infection problems. Soak overnight with a high concentration, scrub if possible, then sanitize in the morning. Please update us on how things go and what you do. I hate to see someone go through your situation, but it also would be nice to learn from it!

Thought I would up date, went to the LHBS and picked up a carboy scrubber that hooks to a drill. Freaking great also grabed a 3/8 tube brush and scrubed the siphon all with 140deg soap water. Then dunked it starsan bucket for rinse. Going to deep clean this weekend. I always oxyclean my carboys to get the dry stuff to release. But the old brush was a pian and probably didn't scrub good enough. Thanks agin for the ideas and getting me out of the lax slump on sanitation.

Back