60 days, and still no carb, except one!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daffypuck

Reaction score
I almost named this thread, "Yall were right". But then my suprise was once again stammered by no carbonation. I have a batch that it seems just won't carb up. I tried recapping a few, and notta. Not one bottle carbed. Then tonight, on the 60th day in the bottle I decided on one last ditch effort to sprinkle a few grains of dry yeast in each bottle. To my suprise, the first bottle I cracked open let off a sharp "pfft"! I poured it into a glass and voila, a big rich head! I quickly threw one in the fridge for a quick chill in anticiaption of trying it cold. After 45 minutes I popped it open and nothing. The same as all the countless others I had tried. I cracked 5 more and nothing. So, I went ahead and recapped each and every bottle with a dash of dry yeast. As I recapped I listedn and not one of them was carbed. What do yall think happened that 1 out of 48 bottles carbed perfectly, but the rest did nothing? Once again Ill wait and see if this latest recapping does the trick. Otherwise Ill wait unitl I get a keg and just force carb them.

I wouldn't have popped so many and recapped them... Hold off on doing anything for another couple of weeks. Then chill one for 5-7 days BEFORE you open and pour from it. 45 minutes in the fridge is not even close to enough time to get the CO2 back into the brew and to get it to chill down. A bare minimum of 4 days is the least I would go from when it goes into the fridge.

I have a brew buddy that had a batch go 5 MONTHS before they carbonated up in bottles. He was trying one each month until they came out carbonated. So 2 months isn't enough time to call it quits yet. Just leave them the F alone, don't open and recap. Let them sit at ~70F until they are carbonated.

With all the things you tried, there are so many variables that effected your beer.

Don't mind if I do!

Im still wet behind the ears when it comes to brewing, but Ive always seen some signs of carbing up as early as 5 days. I usually wait 21 days to try my first beer just to see how its doing. But 60 days and not one bit of carbonation I just didnt understand. For the longest i thought perhaps I forgot to prime the batch. Im wondering if the extra sugar from all the Agave exhausted the yeast. During fermentation the fermenter nearly blew its top. i had to put a blow off tube on it. Whatever the reason, I say live and let learn.

Back