Frozen Beer - Any issues?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

briandickens

Reaction score
So this weekend, being the genius I am, I decided that serving beer in the low 40s was too warm. I upped the coldness control on the kegerator to try to get it a few degrees cooler. Well, I did it and I ended up freezing a few bottles of beer. They're just about thawed now, but will it mess up the beer? Will it even make a difference? The beer is a saison. Not too hoppy.

(I know, I know. Send them to you and you'll test them for me. Hehehe.)

40 is a very nice temp for serving most beers, stouts can be even a bit warmer.... Anyway beer should be fine once it is thawed, could affect the flavor just a bit but I've never been able to tell the difference.

Well yeah. You know that and I know that. But my inability to leave well enough alone apparently doesn't know that.

I also managed to snap a very integral piece of the faucet from my kegerator as I tried removing it to clean it out. Now I have an excuse to buy a forward sealing faucet, I guess.

I'm thinking that should be some strong stuff- mostly the water should have frozen, leaving mostly alcoholic liquid and sugars. Thaw and should be fine

Hmm... that is a pickle. You could <gigglez> send a bottle to ME <hehe!> for TESTING!!!! HAHAHAHA!!!!

Actually no, there really shouldn't be a problem. I've never done it myself but have read many threads with others who have who say it won't affect the beer.

Pour off the Liquid beer, and call it an Eiswhatever.

Eis-saison? Doesn't really flow.

Anyway they're all thawed out now, but the ones that had frozen are marked so I'll taste them against each other. I don't think they'll be any different than the others. Thanks for the help!

Eisaison does too flow!! See. Say it again with me, "Eisaison"!!! And it drink good too!

Beers will be fine, iced or not. Long duration frozen can lead to off flavors but an 'oops' freeze and thaw wont negatively impact your beer.

Back