Regulator Leak with Pic

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brettclutch

Reaction score
Hello Guys,

I tried searching but having a hard time.

I found a leak in my chudnow regulator purchased from KegConnection.com about 2 month ago. (I went through 2 bottles Co2 before I could isolate the source)

Its in the threading right where I pointed in the screenshot. The problem is I cannot for the life of me muscle the gorilla strength to get this piece off so I can re wrap it with teflon tape. The pliers slip before I can get it off.

Any suggestion on getting this off so I can fix or should I just contact keg connection and have them look into possibility of sending a new one/fixing this one.

Thanks guys for any advice. If I'm not missing anything then just telling me to stop being a whimp will suffice. :)

-Brett

WP_000120.jpg

Try a pair of vice grips or a small pipe wrench that should do it.

Like mentioned above use the proper size socket on the stem. It helps if you have access it an impact gun. It will come off very easy. It might also be reverse thread, so you might actually be tightening it depending on how it's threaded.

Fairly sure the Chudnow regulators are right-hand threaded on both the high and low pressure ports.

It's probably just the angle in the photo (and for your sake I hope it is), but the stem almost looks like it's been cross-threaded...

If you purchased it 2 months ago I would contact Keg Connections and I'm sure they will take car of this for you.

I'm not sure why the manufacturer would put Teflon tap on a brass to brass npt connection to start with. One of the reasons for the use of brass is it inherent ability to seal due to it's hardness. From my experience working for a facility that rebuilt regulator and later working for a regulator manufacturer what happened far to frequently was the tape would get into the gas stream and cause problems.

Back