Specific Gravity calculations

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frothy

Reaction score
scratching my head here

Making a brew with extract and I'm aiming for an OG of say 1.050. I need to know roughly how much extract to use?

The density of water at room temp is 1000g/L ( metric scale is based on water 1g/ml)

I know specific gravity is something to do with the density of the wort relative to water but I just can't figure it out- any ideas? Even if you know the calculations in old units that will be useful and I can convert them.

thanks
Matt

6# of DME without any other fermentable is around 1.054
7# of LME without any other fermentable is around 1.054
give or take per 5gallon final in primary

DME per # is 1.009
LME per # is 1.008
give or take

mix and match to hit what you need from available supplies - I don't sweat the the small stuff if I'm close it's beer! if I'm not close well it's beer!

any readings should be adjust to temperature of the sample. the directions with hydrometers will tell you how to adjust up or down.

It's simple. DME gives you SG = 1.046 lb/g, i.e. 46 points. Say you want to have 5 gallons wort with gravity 1.050, or 50 points. Here is what you need to do: 5 * 50 = 250 Points. Next, 250 / 46 = 5.44 lb. If you are going to use LME - it gives you 37 points instead of 46. Now you can dance from here.

frothy said:
scratching my head here

Making a brew with extract and I'm aiming for an OG of say 1.050. I need to know roughly how much extract to use?

The density of water at room temp is 1000g/L ( metric scale is based on water 1g/ml)

I know specific gravity is something to do with the density of the wort relative to water but I just can't figure it out- any ideas? Even if you know the calculations in old units that will be useful and I can convert them.

thanks
Matt

You really need to look at ProMash... it makes recipe formulation a breeze!!! This is my favorite brewing helper :D

http://www.promash.com/

check out the free evaluation!!!

Back