Canadian Roll Call!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
AG homebrewer from Red Deer, AB here. Yeah, our LHBS shops suck so I usually place online orders for smaller stuff and get my bulk grains from Country Malt Group.
If anyone would like to trade/swap some beers from Central Alberta, Edmonton or Calgary, I'm up for it :tank: need to broaden my palette a little :eek:

I'll bring you some Home Brew when I bring over the cash! Glad you got a hold of me, and if you need more room in the future I would happily go with you and we could take my truck.

Been on HBT a while, just noticed the thread.

All-grain brewer, 16-years into the hobby. I'm originally from Calgary, but there was a brief haitus in TO, and now I'm in London (Ont, not the other one). Yeast wrangler for my local brewclub.

Bryan

And doing a damn fine job :rockin:

I'll bring you some Home Brew when I bring over the cash! Glad you got a hold of me, and if you need more room in the future I would happily go with you and we could take my truck.

I would be happy to swap some brews with you! I think for this time I'll just keep it local and order 6 bags of malt. 2.5 for you and 3.5 for me. I still have plenty of Superior Pale Ale malt and wheat.

I'm moving back to the US, otherwise I would have loved to swap some homebrews.

That being said, while I was in Canada I got all my ingredients from Beer Grains Supply Co. I had great luck with them, and their shipping was the best (flat rate over a certain order amount, not sure what it is now I havent placed an order in a couple months)

http://beergrains.com/

I know not the same now but I grew up in lumemburg before I moved to edmonton. Got a sister and nephew in hfx

My dad's family is from around Lunenburg. I've got an uncle in Port Mouton, a couple relatives in Halifax and Amherst, and even some who used to live on McNab's Island.

One of my uncles has been brewing for over 30 years... too bad his beers always sucked. LOL.

Hespeler Cambridge Ontario. Here Seems to be a vacuum of hombrewing here. I order everthing online or drive a good bit to get it. still a newb but would love to hook up with locals.

My dad's family is from around Lunenburg. I've got an uncle in Port Mouton, a couple relatives in Halifax and Amherst, and even some who used to live on McNab's Island.

One of my uncles has been brewing for over 30 years... too bad his beers always sucked. LOL.

I have great memories of port motoun, have family in shelburne so would usually stop there to do some mackeral fishing and go to carters beach. I remember one day we must have got about 40 mackeral in just over an hour. We were hauling in 2 at a time with a rod & reel with multiple lure setup.

Hespeler Cambridge Ontario. Here Seems to be a vacuum of hombrewing here. I order everthing online or drive a good bit to get it. still a newb but would love to hook up with locals.

I grew up in the Galt end of Cambridge and never homebrewed there but I have often thought about the place when brewing. I remember the place having the hardest water with calcium building up on shower heads. The water we had was definitely useless for brewing. Maybe its changed in the 25 years since i lived there? What do with your water?

I have great memories of port motoun, have family in shelburne so would usually stop there to do some mackeral fishing and go to carters beach. I remember one day we must have got about 40 mackeral in just over an hour. We were hauling in 2 at a time with a rod & reel with multiple lure setup.

Most of my memories of Port Mouton involve cutting cords of wood out on the back lot and bazillions (it's a real number, look it up) of black flies. You'd breathe them in they were so thick back in the woods. Of course, lots of lobster and mackerel too for supper.

Love port Mouton, spent a couple awesomely drunkard days out there last summer.

Most of my memories of Port Mouton involve cutting cords of wood out on the back lot and bazillions (it's a real number, look it up) of black flies. You'd breathe them in they were so thick back in the woods. Of course, lots of lobster and mackerel too for supper.

I hear you on the black flies, a real sin, I don't know what it is with that area but there are just SWARMS of them.

I grew up in the Galt end of Cambridge and never homebrewed there but I have often thought about the place when brewing. I remember the place having the hardest water with calcium building up on shower heads. The water we had was definitely useless for brewing. Maybe its changed in the 25 years since i lived there? What do with your water?
Well its still the same and being the newb i am i just plow forth doing what i can, I add 5.2 stabilizer but i need to start thinking about options.

Well its still the same and being the newb i am i just plow forth doing what i can, I add 5.2 stabilizer but i need to start thinking about options.

Vancouver has the world's softest water. Its all snow melt with virtually nothing in it (< 5ppm Ca). With Cambridge water you could pre-boil it to drop out some of the carbonate or you could just buy RO water - Gordon Strong's book has a section about brewing with RO water or check out https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f128/brewing-water-chemistry-primer-198460/

Ottawa checking in. Extract brewer so far. Gradually building up the equipment needed to give all grain a go. Veeery interested in kal's electric brewery, but that will require the saving of many coins...

Got a Kolsch in the keg just about ready for sipping. Pale Ale in the primary next week I hope.

Cheers!

Chris

Nice. There's a local brew-club, btw. If you're not on it - PM me and I can give you details :)

Anybody on here from the Duncan area in BC?

AG brewer from Surrey BC here.

Started with extract about five years ago. Made the switch only when the owner of my LHBS, Dan Small (Dan's Homebrewing in Vancouver) 'refused' (lol) to sell me any more extract. That was about three years ago and I'm glad he did.

I'm running a direct fire keggle based 5 gal. rig with a Brewers Hardware RIMS tube run by a Brewtroller 4.0. Had it all automated with seven valves until I figured out that AMP connectors are not splash proof. Had to strip it back to switching hoses until I replace them. Pretty mad I was so short sighted. It was no fun trying to brew with random valves opening and closing...

I built a four tap keg-o-rator and have nine cornies. Five primaries keep the pipeline flowing. I try to brew at least once a week as my buddies and I go through an alarming amount of beer. Current house fave is a Belgian Quad modeled on Rochefort 10. Still not a clone but getting closer.

Cheers!

What? I'm in Van and I usually go to Bosa (or Barley's), but why did Dan refuse to sell you extract?

Anywho - yeah, East Van brewer here.

Hi from Hamilton, ON - I'm an All Grain Brewing Newbie about to brew my first two batches. A Smoked Wheat Ale & a Hazelnut Honey Brown - 1 Gallon batches to start. I'm a Chef and have been interested in brewing for the past few years... looking forward to tapping into this great group resource even more in the near future!

Can anyone of you Winnipeg brewers tell me what water you are using, is the tap water here in Winnipeg ok or are you using RO water, I'm new and Extract brewing for now, Thanks

Can anyone of you Winnipeg brewers tell me what water you are using, is the tap water here in Winnipeg ok or are you using RO water, I'm new and Extract brewing for now, Thanks

Check with the guys at your local shop or maybe ask over on the winnipeg brew bombers page

We have excellent water here in da Peg. Get yourself an RV filter for the chlorine and you are good to go.

paraordnance said:
AG homebrewer from Red Deer, AB here. Yeah, our LHBS shops suck so I usually place online orders for smaller stuff and get my bulk grains from Country Malt Group.
If anyone would like to trade/swap some beers from Central Alberta, Edmonton or Calgary, I'm up for it :tank: need to broaden my palette a little :eek:

Hi I'm from Calgary. I tried to order from Country Malt but they said I had to be a licensed store or brewer. How do you order your grains from them?
Thanks.

^^^
Yeah, I heard last night. Sad to hear it, Dan was a pretty cool guy.

I am in the GTA/York Region :). just receiving my first big of gear and yeasts today. Now to find the time to brew :)

Kelowna BC here
All grain setup. I buy from hopdawgs.ca and ontariobeerkegs.com.
Hopdawgs is a 35 minute drove from me but I'm too lazy to go there so I mail order.
I buy my malts from hopdawgs but Gambrinus malting corp is only about a 50 minute drive for me so once I get a grain crusher I will buy in bulk. I think basic 2 row is somewhere around $25 for a 55lb sack
Keep on brewing on fellow canucks

Latest posts

Back