nitrogen or not?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

raider72

Reaction score
I have been using nitrogen to help keep the oxygen out of my beer . Also use it to force the beer out of my conical to bottling. Week has past on my fermentation and I want to open the conical up and add vanilla bean to my oatmeal stout but I'm alwys conserned about contamination...if I add the nitrogen to the top off my brew I'm hoping to eliminate exposure to oxygen. Can anyone tell me if I'm doing more harm than good or nothing at all?

I have been using nitrogen to help keep the oxygen out of my beer . Also use it to force the beer out of my conical to bottling. Week has past on my fermentation and I want to open the conical up and add vanilla bean to my oatmeal stout but I'm always concerned about contamination...if I add the nitrogen to the top off my brew I'm hoping to eliminate exposure to oxygen. Can anyone tell me if I'm doing more harm than good or nothing at all?

you are more likely to carry a contaminant in on the vanilla beans than just opening the conical. it won't hurt anything to flush the head space but it won't necessarily mean you are protecting against a contaminant, you will be protecting against oxidation which is good.

Is there a way to add the beans into the fermentation process without contaminating. I had purchased the beans from my local brewery

The last time I added vanilla beans I soaked them in cheap vodka for 24 hours. I did not have any issues on contamination after that. Between the soak and the alcohol in the beer contamination is not much of a concern.

So pressure feeding the brew from the fermentor to kegs with nitrogen rather than co2 shouldn't be a problem?

Back