Funky after taste.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewin_the_goods

Reaction score
I brewed a SNPA clone on the 11th of October, bottled it on the 3rd of November and here it is 7 weeks after that and it still has this funky fruity aftertaste. The beer has really cleared up, the head retention is good and if I let it sit for a good 5-10 min after I pour it, the taste kind of subsides but is still present.

I've put a 6'er aside for consumption at a later date to see if time will help. I used a powder yeast and the kit was as a partial mash from Midwest. The last beer I used a powder yeast was in my Lemon Corriandor Wheat and it had the same funk to it. My other brews I used White Labs Liquid yeast and my beers were just awesome.

What the hell? :confused:

+- 70*
but the last three days it sat in a room that got down into the low 60's and that's also where it sat in the bottles for the first week and a half.

well there is your problem. the wart should not get above 68F. keep in mind that the wart will be warmer than the room it's in. best to either get a stick on thermometer or figure out a way to get a temp reading from inside the fermenter without contaminating it.

well there is your problem. the wart should not get above 68F. keep in mind that the wart will be warmer than the room it's in. best to either get a stick on thermometer or figure out a way to get a temp reading from inside the fermenter without contaminating it.

Hmmm. I brewed a IIPA and an Irish Stout and they sat in those temps (and a little higher) and tasted beautiful. They both got a secondary treatment though.

the stout is a dark beer and can hide more off flavors. my guess about the IIPA is the bitterness and hope taste/aroma covered the taste.

Back