My first AG brew came out to 3.5 gal instead of 5!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FabilaJ

Reaction score
I'd done quite a bit of research prior to taking on the task of my first AG batch, and I even had a helping hand this time, but I managed to screw it up regardless. The problem was that I didn't use enough sparge water to collect about 6 gal of wort to boil. Now I know for next time.
The problem now, however, is that I have a very low volume of beer for all my time and effort. The recipe's OG was 1.050, and mine was 1.053. I thought about just boiling and coiling some more water and adding it straight to the fermenter, but I don't know what that effect will have on the beer. Any idea's? If I can add water, how much will be acceptable to add not to drop below the 1.050 OG the recipe calls for? (It's been in the fermenter less than 24 hours) Thanks in advance!

boy, you'd not be able to add much water at all. I'd just leave it as is, and accept 3.5 gallons of beer.

(The actual exact amount of water is .20 of a gallon, or 1/5 of a gallon, or 25 ounces. So, a pint and a half?)

Back