hazelnut porter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Javier25

Reaction score
I have a pound of roasted hazelnuts soaking in the secondary. I don't think this is enough to get as much of the flavor that I want. Any suggestions? Is there such thing as a hazelnut extract?

This sounds delicious. Rogue hazelnut brown is one of my favorite beers, and nut browns in general are I think my favorite style. Never thought of a nut porter though, I may have to experiment with that as well!

Hazelnut extract does exist, here's a pic of a bottle I have of brewcraft hazelnut extract. Bottle says use up to 2oz for 5 gallons. This bottle came with a brewcraft extract kit for rogue hazelnut brown that I received for Christmas but havnt brewed yet. I tasted it just now and it tastes exactly like the hazelnut flavor of the rogue beer. Good thing I pulled it out to take a pic of it for you, the label says to keep it refrigerated. Oops.

I wonder if there is something I can pick up from a store. It's been in secondary for a wk, and I have to bottle it in 3 wks. Thank you for taking the time to send that pic. by the way.

Some gourmet grocery stores have hazelnut flavoring in the coffee isle. It might work but I think it has sugar in it

I work at a coffee shop, and the hazelnut syrup that we use is loaded with sugar. Definately something I want to avoid. Was thinking of just adding more hazelnuts, but the peeling process was a pain, and I don't want to do that again lol! I called several stores around me, and nobody has any. Thinking of just tossing in some vanilla bean instead. Or maybe just leaving it alone. Nothing wrong with a smooth porter, right?!

Could you use the syrup to prime with? That might give you a little more flavor, so long as you can determine how much sugar is in it to prime appropriately.

Could you use the syrup to prime with? That might give you a little more flavor, so long as you can determine how much sugar is in it to prime appropriately.

Ooooh! Thats a great idea. I may have to check into that. Thanks!

A brewery here did a Chocolate Hazlenut Porter-ish beer. The brewer used a hazlenut butter (in the boil). They froze it, let it thaw and skimmed off the oil. Did that 3-4 times I believe before use. It work really well, the hazlenut flavor was present, but not over powering. He said he had used an extract in the test batch, but thought it gave a generic flavor to it.

You can get Hazelnut Extract at most grocery stores. I have an English Brown Ale in my primary right now. When I move it to the secondary I will add some hazelnut extract. I picked mine up for around $3 at the grocery store. It tastes awesome and there isn't a ton of sugar like in syrups. I think the brand I got was Tones. Just go to the spice aisle. It will take a while to find, in my grocery store there was only one hazelnut extract, lost in a sea of hundreds of extracts and spices. Let us know how yours turns out. :)

Thank you guys for all the advice. I've gone to 5 different stores and none if them carry it. Hopefully I can get it soon. How much extract did you add to the secondary? I transferwd a wk. ago.

This sounds delicious. Rogue hazelnut brown is one of my favorite beers, and nut browns in general are I think my favorite style. Never thought of a nut porter though, I may have to experiment with that as well!

Hazelnut extract does exist, here's a pic of a bottle I have of brewcraft hazelnut extract. Bottle says use up to 2oz for 5 gallons. This bottle came with a brewcraft extract kit for rogue hazelnut brown that I received for Christmas but havnt brewed yet. I tasted it just now and it tastes exactly like the hazelnut flavor of the rogue beer. Good thing I pulled it out to take a pic of it for you, the label says to keep it refrigerated. Oops.

Be very carefull with this extract. 2 oz for a five gallon batch is way to much. Start with .5 oz, and add from there by taste. I made the mistake of adding all 2 oz and my beer is just now barely drinkable 4 months later...

I haven't transferred yet. When I do, I will probably only add about a teaspoon. Then when I transfer to the bottling bucket, I will add in more little by little to my taste preference. A little bit goes a long way though, so be careful.

Back