Mash

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KennyS1134

Reaction score
Once all of your grain/malt is in the mash tun, how long/hard do you mix it for? I think I may have stirred mine a little to aggressively last time?....if that's possible?

Just enough to break up any dough balls. I usually add the grain to the water, so I mix as I'm adding the grain. Then maybe 15-30 seconds after that.

Most people stir until the temp gets stable when read in three seperate locations of the mash, and then maybe again once or twice during the mash for the same reason.

Most people stir until the temp gets stable when read in three seperate locations of the mash, and then maybe again once or twice during the mash for the same reason.

This is what I do. I always try to overshoot my strike water temp by a few degrees. Always easier to stir out a few degrees than try and bring up the temp by adding boiling water. I batch sparge, and when sparging I stir like mad.

Back