NB Wheat addition experiment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

go_inbroke

Reaction score
OK...Here we go! I have never had a "Raspberry" Wheat, so I am going out on a limb with this experiment. I am going to use the NB Hefe kit and instead of using raspberries as an addition, I am going to use fresh mulberries. Why, you ask? Because there are hundreds of free quarts of them falling from the sky where I live. I like free. The question: How much, when, what to expect? How much more ABV should I expect? Will this taste like crap? I will use the most ripe berries I can collect.

If someone has done this, or has attempted something similar, please share your success or failure to get me through any pitfalls.

Thanks

I have used mulberries twice now. Once in a braggot and another in a dubbel and have enjoyed them both. I say do it and here's what I would do. -
I would puree the mulberies and put them on campden for 24 hours before adding them. Put them in a fine mesh bag to avoid getting the seeds mixed into the wort.

On another note, my mulberry season did not allow me to gather any this year. If you are willing to gather, package and ship, I would pay for some or we could work out a trade if you're interested. I have access to mesquite pods and prickly pear fruit and have done many sucessful trades with members over the past two years.

Thanks,
GTG

I was over to my son's house last evening checking for ripe berries...a few days more. I will collect as many as I can and will get back with you. I have never shipped berries...

Back