Help with Cinder Cone Red recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wallygator

Reaction score
I'm looking at brewing an extract copy of Deschutes Cinder Cone Red. When I emailed them this is what they sent:

Recipe type: All grain
Batch size: 5 U.S. gallons
Original gravity: 1.052-1.056
Final gravity: 1.014-1.018
Boil time: 90 minutes
Fermentation temp: 65° F
Yeast type: English Ale

Malt: Hops:
NW 2-row Pale Malt Cascade
Caramel Malt Amarillo
Dextrin Malt Simco
Black Barley Tettnanger

This is what I came up with:

Black Barley 1.00 oz
Crystal 10L 0.50 lb
Crystal 40L 0.50 lb
Crystal 80L 1.00 lb
LME 8.00 lb

Hops:
Name amount Alpha% Min
Simcoe 0.50 oz 12.9 60
Tettnanger 0.50 oz 4.5 30
Simcoe 0.50 oz 12.9 15
Tettnanger 0.50 oz 4.5 15
Cascade 1.00 oz 7.2 15
Cascade 1.00 oz 7.2 0

Total IBU 51

I will be doing a full boil and I thought of using WhiteLabs 051 California ale yeast.

What do you think?

Sorry! I have never heard of this beer, so I'm absolutely no help to you at all. Hopefully, you'll find someone who knows this beer and can tell you how close you are. Good luck!

Sorry! I have never heard of this beer, so I'm absolutely no help to you at all. Hopefully, you'll find someone who knows this beer and can tell you how close you are. Good luck!

Thanks, Its a deschutes brewery seasonal ale, I'm looking to brew something similar since it is no longer in season.

i have formulated my own AG version of this brew. i havent brewed it yet, but plan on it! this is a FANTASTIC brew!

why are you not using English Ale? If you are trying to make a beer that tastes like Cinder Cone Red yeast will be more important than what you choose for steeping grains. So first off I would say use the appropriate yeast. A full pound of cyrstal 80L seems a bit much, but I could be wrong....

why are you not using English Ale? If you are trying to make a beer that tastes like Cinder Cone Red yeast will be more important than what you choose for steeping grains. So first off I would say use the appropriate yeast. A full pound of cyrstal 80L seems a bit much, but I could be wrong....

Thanks, I over looked that. I will change it to use WLP002 English ale yeast.
Do you think I should cut the crystal 80 back to 1/2 pound, or maybe use 1/2 pound of crystal 120 instead?

I updated my recipe. What do you think?

Code:
Fermentables
Name                              amount
Black Barley                      1.00    oz 
Crystal  20L                      0.50    lb 
Crystal  40L                      0.50    lb 
Crystal  80L                      0.50    lb 
Light Malt Extract Syrup      8.00   lb 
Munich Malt                       0.50  lb  

Hops:
Name                 amount units  Alpha    Min   IBU
Simcoe                   0.25    oz   12.9   60.0  10.5
Tettnanger             0.50    oz    5.5   30.0   6.7
Simcoe                   0.50    oz   12.9   15.0  10.0
Tettnanger             0.50    oz    5.5   15.0   4.3
Cascade                0.50    oz    7.2   15.0   5.6
Cascade                0.50    oz    7.2    0.0   0.0
Tettnanger             0.50    oz    4.5    0.0   0.0
total IBU 37.2
WLP007 Dry English Ale Yeast

How did this turn out? I'm a big fan of Cinder Cone but I live in the Midwest and am lucky to get one every few years. This is the one clone I am interested in....

How did this turn out? I'm a big fan of Cinder Cone but I live in the Midwest and am lucky to get one every few years. This is the one clone I am interested in....

It turned out good, but not a very close clone. The hop amounts need upped to about 50 IBU's. The flavor is pretty close. The aroma is a little different also, not bad, just not Cinder Cone. I compared it to a bottle of Cinder Cone that I had stashed away and immediately noticed that the flavor was close, but not the hop bite that CC has.
You might try conroe's Mojave Red, he says its pretty close. I may try to brew it next time and find out.

Latest posts

Back