Too much on my plate.. (A story, and a question)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

libeerty

Reaction score
Yesterday my kegerator and corny kegs arrived. At the same time, I had two extract batches to brew before I went away for the long weekend. So I had a very ambitious plan of:

1.) setting up kegerator
2.) transferring three batches to keg
3.) brewing an IPA
4.) brewing a chocolate bock

1 golden for the most part.
2 went well.
But I stupidly did 3 and 4 at the same time...

And of course I mixed up a hop addition and put some Columbus (very high AA) into my bock (low IBU.) After a few minutes I notice this and freak out. Luckily, I have BeerSmith open so I go into my bock recipe and play around with the numbers and figure out a way to have an acceptable (still a little high) IBU if I end the boil early, so I do that. (The IPA is fine because I have plenty of Columbus)

I feel like I may have saved the day, but then I notice my beautiful lager starter tripped over at some point during my rescue operation.

I chilled the bock wort quickly and put it into a sealed keg, where it will stay until I have yeast to pitch. I am going to start a new starter today, and pitch on Sunday.

My question for those of you out there: is there anything else I could do (or could have done) to mitigate this mishap? (Other than not doing two wildly different brews at the same time, or measuring beforehand with little post-its or something.) Is my strategy going forward sound? I've read some about "no chill" brewing, so I think my wort is OK as my sanitation practices are pretty good, but perhaps I should pony up and buy 3 yeasts at LHBS and pitch today?

Thanks!

Ha yeah that kind of stuff happens. Your best bet for fixing those little issues in the future is, like you said, pre-weigh and label all ingredients, along with the time of their addition (i.e. 60min Columbus in IPA)

As far as waiting for a starter, if you have solid sanitation practices you'll be fine. You'd benefit from putting the keg in your kegerator to keep any potential baddies at bay, or at least slow them down until you can assault them with a big starter.

Good luck and I hope that helps.

I was gunna say the same thing reno. Iput iy in hop socks in bowls with the empty hop bags in the order from right to left that they go in the boil. & which boil for that matter. Some may think it's anal,but it works during a long brew day.

I know if I have a hectic hop schedule I do what Reno said where I toss a piece of paper in with hop type and addition time and even weight just so I know and can double check.

Two other options would be to use something like this.

http://www.joann.com/2xl-4-comp-double/zprd_10672772a/

This has 4 compartments but they make them with 7 and I think 12. I use it for when I do say an IPA that calls for an addition every 10 minutes.

Other than that I just simply use zip-lock sandwich bags, pre-weigh the hops then write the variety and when to add on the bag with a marker.

Back