Fresh Hop Fail?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bozizle

Reaction score
I just recieved an order of some fresh amarillo hops sent to my house. They said it would take 3 days to get these and sure enough they arrived in a brown paper bag. However the hops were very brown as if they were turning bad upon opening the bag. I threw them into the freezer right away.

Question - Should they be good to use even though half the cone is brown?

They might be fine to use, maybe even to dry out and use but they are not fresh hops and will not give the same final product. I have heard that you have 24 hours from vine to boil. I don't know if that is true, I do know of a couple craft breweries that are following that guideline.

Going from green to brown is a sign of something happening to the chlorophyll, not necessarily the lupuline glands. With that said, I'd be pretty bummed about getting brown hops. My wet hops came from a LHBS directly from Hops Union. I used them about 3 days after picking (my estimate), and they were great, but the LHBS put them in sealed plastic bags for me, not paper bags. Maybe that is why they turned brown??

Have you weighed them to see if they are in lb increments as you ordered? Or have they already started drying out?

Going from green to brown is a sign of something happening to the chlorophyll, not necessarily the lupuline glands. With that said, I'd be pretty bummed about getting brown hops. My wet hops came from a LHBS directly from Hops Union. I used them about 3 days after picking (my estimate), and they were great, but the LHBS put them in sealed plastic bags for me, not paper bags. Maybe that is why they turned brown??

Have you weighed them to see if they are in lb increments as you ordered? Or have they already started drying out?

They weigh the right amount just concerned that they turned so quickly. I may contact the company today to discuss my concern, but I will try them out regardless.

Back