I don't know what I did right HA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brodie2571

Reaction score
Recipe Type: All Grain
Yeast: codes de blanc
Yeast Starter: .
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter: .
Batch Size (Gallons): 1 gal
Original Gravity: .
Final Gravity: .
IBU: .
Boiling Time (Minutes): .
Color: light yellow
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 20
Additional Fermentation: .
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 5
Tasting Notes: .

Ok so I started my first mead almost a month ago, it was a very simple basic mead:
3lbs honey
one cup apple juice
Water to fill
yeast
energizer
nutrient

I set it to ferment, I was guessing it would take a month or two to clear, even after transfer to secondary.
I transferred to secondary after 20 days once it started to clear and was crystal clear after 5 days in secondary.
I just bottled tonight w/o bottling sugar because I assumed the yeast is still working somewhat because it cleared so soon, but I tasted it tonight and was better then I expected.

Anyone know if it's normal for a mead to clear SO fast?
And did I bottle WAY too SOON?!

I moved your post out of the recipe database, since the mead isn't ready to drink, and we don't have complete tasting notes. The database is for repeatable, proven recipes and techniques. Experimental recipes (without finished results) go in the regular forum.

Anyway, yeah, you bottled too early but if the SG isn't dropping any more the bottles probably won't blow up.

Thank you much Yooper! I'm still new to This forum (and home brewing). I figured tha I bottled way too soon, But I'm a 20yr old who is impatient as Hell! (If it's any conseltation I turn 21 this friday (6/11/10)).

However for future reference I will only post my recipes that have worked out well for me. I also apologize for not posting OG, SG, FG, for I have not gotten a hydrometer yet and am un famaliar with the process and the science of brewing.

I hope you see this message. I've read a lot of you posts and from that I gather that you are a TRUE Vetaran of Home brewing! I thank you for your input and for correcting my folly.

-Brodie

Thank you much Yooper! I'm still new to This forum (and home brewing). I figured tha I bottled way too soon, But I'm a 20yr old who is impatient as Hell! (If it's any conseltation I turn 21 this friday (6/11/10)).

However for future reference I will only post my recipes that have worked out well for me. I also apologize for not posting OG, SG, FG, for I have not gotten a hydrometer yet and am un famaliar with the process and the science of brewing.

I hope you see this message. I've read a lot of you posts and from that I gather that you are a TRUE Vetaran of Home brewing! I thank you for your input and for correcting my folly.

-Brodie

Price a hygometer - They are pretty cheap and they let you calc your gravities and ABV. Sometimes its nice to know what you alchol by volume (ABV) is.

Price a hygometer - They are pretty cheap and they let you calc your gravities and ABV. Sometimes its nice to know what you alchol by volume (ABV) is.

"I also like to live dangerousley" - Austin powers

I personally LOVE a suprise, hence why I chose not to calc my alc % and find out what it is by trying it. I have had both good results and bad: However I've had GREAT times with both results.

If someone hands you a "Great brew" Do you question it? Do you examine it? Do you ask yourself "dare i taste this, or partake in it?" NO you try it for yourself n.n and make your own judgement. ...............

ALSO I CAN'T WORK WITH NUMBERS.....

I'm Artistic, I do music, and I can't work with numbers at all, They fjviunbvienv me really badly, (I also have a spelling problem)

YET MY POINT!!! I like to dive into thing impulsively. SO! I Just make random Cider brews and Give them a shot untill I find something I really Love!

my first try reall sucked hardcore, but once i gave the 'ol standby a try ( Ed' worts apfelwine a try I was devastated. But also i added 3 lbs cane and used champagne yeast and it "WHOPPED" me and my friends 'arses hardcore. But it was awesome trying it without prior knowledge!!!

So Try something with knowledge and you will end up with one of 3 things:
1) A Hangover
2) A heftful regret
3) A Love for the rest of your life!!! ( And I'm Not just talking about Home-brewing)!

-brodie

Latest posts

Back